Pierre Ferrand Selection des Anges, 40%

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Pierre Ferrand Selection des Anges, 40%

Postby numen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 am

from a purchased sample

Nose: Toffee and brown sugar flambe crust, a touch light, along with some gentle quince and plum jam. Cinnamon, spice, stewing orange in brown sugar syrup. Fairly well balanced with general orange and light-brown tones, and some oak influence. Diluted, yet otherwise fine here. Whiff of some artificial sweetness in the trail. Decent and otherwise pleasant, just shows all the usual elements of an over-light and over-watered blend.

Palate: Spice and odd funky wood. Off-sweet, off-bitter, just... strangely funky. There are some of the usual fruit notes - orange (burned skin), cherry, quince, and some strange artificial sweet taste along with sugar-sweet water. Ah, the common mark of the common cognac.

Finish: Some wood, providing balance, sappy watery sweetness, and some indistinct grape and plum. The funky note, sweetness, and watery quality make this a rather disappointing tipple. The 1840 showed promise, but I'm not sure what happened here. Bad sample? D+

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Pierre Ferrand Selection des Anges, 40%

Postby Pierre » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Wow... I was thinking of giving that a try since I didn't want to judge from their Ambre only, now I think I'll do the check a bit later ! Bad samples also happens unfortunately. If anyone alse has an opinion about this cognac, I'd be happy to hear it.

hedonist
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Important information on all Pierre Ferrand Cognacs

Postby hedonist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Gentlemen.
The original producer Pierre Ferrand sold his brand to the two businessmen Alexandre Gabriel and Jean Dominique in 1992. For more than a decade, the range of cognacs were made in the way old Pierre Ferrand wanted to. Then he and the owners (i think Alexandre Gabriel is the sole owner now) split for unknown reasons and all the knowledge and craftsmanship went out the door with Pierre.

Now, the name Pierre Ferrand is the only thing that is left. The cognac range still use the old names (e.g. Selection de anges, Abel) but the content in the new designed bottles are a complete disappointment. Thin, watery and soaplike taste which is gone in seconds. The soapy, watery feeling is probably dependent on the fact that the current, more business-oriented owner, probably dilute the cognac to 40% with destilled water just before bottling, instead of gently dilute the cognac over a period of six years as Pierre did. The later way of doing it let the spirit and water slowly blend together in a "marriage". I also belive that the brandy used for the blends ar of less quality than before.

I have tasted the original Pierre Ferrand Abel, Selection de Anges, Cigar Blend and also the vintage 1975 and 1976. All of them have been outstanding cognacs. The original Abel is among the best and most intriguing cognac experiences i ever had. Half a year ago i bought a bottle of Abel and Selection de Anges. The bottle design was new, Abel came in a fancy wooden box and the price had gone up about 40 %. The content on the other hand was a gruesome disappointment and i even hesitate to serve this sh*t to my drunk friends after too much wine at dinner.

So, my recommendation are to don't even touch this stuff. There are much better and even cheaper cognacs to drink.

/Hedonist

Fuzhou
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Re: Pierre Ferrand Selection des Anges, 40%

Postby Fuzhou » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Hedonist,

Do you have any information on the Landy Glorieuse? Thanks.

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”