Which Cognac

For all questions and issues concerning the world of Cognac. Feel free to ask questions!
John G
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Which Cognac

Postby John G » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi Forum, although I enjoy a good whisky I am a complete Cognac novice. We have friends coming to stay in a couple of weeks and I need to pick up a bottle. Probably something easy going that I can also drink that doesn't take too much effort to get the best from . I am based in the Scotland but have vouchers for a shop that throws up these choices.

Maxime Trijol X.O £49.95
Pierre Ferrand Reserve X.O 1er cru de Cognac £51.95
Landy X.O No1 £56.95
Audry X.O £59.95
Delamain Pale & Dry X.O £69.91

The Delamain was probably more than I wanted to spend but it is still an option. Which of the 5 would you recommend? any to disregard straight away?

Thanks for your help in advance.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Which Cognac

Postby numen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi John, and welcome to the forum.

Those are some pretty good choices, and I think that you'd probably be happy with any of them. I've had only two of the bunch, but the producers all have very good reputations, and have put out award-winning bottles. They also almost certainly will have different flavor characteristics, or emphasize different qualities, so they may present more of a profile difference than a difference in quality. No need to break the bank when there's stuff that you'll enjoy more comfortably in range. I suppose another way to get at it is - are you particular to any flavor types (in whisky) that you'd want to explore here, or anything goes as you try out the stuff?

I defer to others on picking out a best of the bunch, but I'd be intrigued by the Audry; I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it. Some people on the board also swear by some of the other expressions of Pierre Ferrand.

John G
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby John G » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 pm

numen wrote:Hi John, and welcome to the forum.

Those are some pretty good choices, and I think that you'd probably be happy with any of them. I've had only two of the bunch, but the producers all have very good reputations, and have put out award-winning bottles. They also almost certainly will have different flavor characteristics, or emphasize different qualities, so they may present more of a profile difference than a difference in quality. No need to break the bank when there's stuff that you'll enjoy more comfortably in range. I suppose another way to get at it is - are you particular to any flavor types (in whisky) that you'd want to explore here, or anything goes as you try out the stuff?I defer to others on picking out a best of the bunch, but I'd be intrigued by the Audry; I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it. Some people on the board also swear by some of the other expressions of Pierre Ferrand.

Thanks for the welcome numen. Pretty much anything goes although something that is overly floral really doesnt do much for me. I am buying slurp.co.uk if you want to check out what else i could get.

Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Deemancpa » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 am

John G wrote:Hi Forum, although I enjoy a good whisky I am a complete Cognac novice. We have friends coming to stay in a couple of weeks and I need to pick up a bottle. Probably something easy going that I can also drink that doesn't take too much effort to get the best from . I am based in the Scotland but have vouchers for a shop that throws up these choices.

Maxime Trijol X.O £49.95
Pierre Ferrand Reserve X.O 1er cru de Cognac £51.95
Landy X.O No1 £56.95
Audry X.O £59.95
Delamain Pale & Dry X.O £69.91

The Delamain was probably more than I wanted to spend but it is still an option. Which of the 5 would you recommend? any to disregard straight away?

Thanks for your help in advance.

It's difficult to judge since you are a whiskey guy. You would be ok with most. Wish you had better choices. I never had Maxime. Landy wasn't impressive to me. Ferrand makes Landy. I like Ferrand other products(go to cognac photos, I've posted my bottles). Audry, I haven't tried yet. Delamain is good. Try the least expensive.

Do you have a bar near by to sample a few?

Dee

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm

I've only had the P.F. out of all on the list and would have no hesitation to recommend this as your first Cognac. Cognac has as much variety as Scotch, so keep in mind that no matter which bottle you buy it's going to have it's strong and weak points. And like Scotch, it is only after you've acquired the taste that you will be able to discern what it is you like. I traveled to Texas yesterday and brought my 1/2 bottle of Courvoisier 12 year old with me. I had to struggle through the glass because....well, it's just not very good. Anyone who drinks VSOP regularly will most likely say it is excellent. Two opinions, neither more valid than the other, just the same product from a different perspective. As you are a Scotch drinker, I can't help but recommend Armagnac. It's not as refined as Cognac, but this is not a bad thing. If booze were soldiers, Armagnac would be the commando and Cognac would be the supply clerk.

sjp1966
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sjp1966 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi John

I am new to the world of Cognac too, I have tried the Maxime Trijol XO (via a sample) and the Delamain Pale and Dry XO (I bought a bottle) I really liked both, I think that the Trijol may have been a tad better if memory serves.

but of course that is my taste, yours and your friends may differ.

John G
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby John G » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the replys. Like the photos Deemancpa very nice selection. I will probably have a better choice in the future just going with this shop as i found a voucher.

sjp1966 notice you are in the UK the voucher may intrest you http://www.vouchercloud.com/slurp-co-uk-vouchers the £30 activates at £89.95.

Think Armagnac may be one for the future although for some reason i thought they were the rye equvalent due to the spicyness and i am not over keen on Rye. As i said novice so stand to be corrected.

The general push seems to be toward Pierre Ferrand Reserve X.O 1er cru de Cognac so will go for that. Would normaly leave it longer for more replies but the weather is moving in in the uk which may effect delivery.

Thanks for all your help, i will report back once the bottle is open.

sjp1966
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sjp1966 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks for the voucher, ill look into that when I get home.

Fuzhou
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Fuzhou » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm

BSinTX wrote:I've only had the P.F. out of all on the list and would have no hesitation to recommend this as your first Cognac. Cognac has as much variety as Scotch, so keep in mind that no matter which bottle you buy it's going to have it's strong and weak points. And like Scotch, it is only after you've acquired the taste that you will be able to discern what it is you like. I traveled to Texas yesterday and brought my 1/2 bottle of Courvoisier 12 year old with me. I had to struggle through the glass because....well, it's just not very good. Anyone who drinks VSOP regularly will most likely say it is excellent. Two opinions, neither more valid than the other, just the same product from a different perspective. As you are a Scotch drinker, I can't help but recommend Armagnac. It's not as refined as Cognac, but this is not a bad thing. If booze were soldiers, Armagnac would be the commando and Cognac would be the supply clerk.

Armagnac would be a Mustang Cobra, and Cognac would be the Porsche Carrera.

Return to “Questions and general subjects about Cognac”