Courvoisier VSOP

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Courvoisier VSOP

Postby BSinTX » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:07 pm

I picked up a bottle of Courvoisier 12 Year Old US $52+tax and decided to put it against it's brother VSOP in a Cognac shootout just to see which one comes out on top. The idea for this came about when I tried the RM 1738 and deemed it to be much better than the VSOP for the extra US $10 per bottle. I will post the results of the 12YO separately as I wanted to give the VSOP it's own thread. The VSOP is US $44+tax for 750ml; I purchased the 50ml as I seldom drink VSOP anything.

Nose: Not very aromatic.....I am using a Glencairn whisky glass and still having a hard time finding the aromas. It took me a few minutes to put it all together; sugary vanilla, almonds, and wax. The aroma is quite familiar and I couldn't put my finger on it and then, VOILA!!! Yellow cake batter.

Taste: Same as the nose with some lemon and a nice sweet ginger finish. Quite bland, even at 40%ABV. It's got none of the assertive fieriness of a VS on the nose or tongue, which is not a bad thing, but it also lacks the spiritiness of a good pour as if it's almost too easy to drink.

Return to “Courvoisier”