Courvoisier Napoleon

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Courvoisier Napoleon

Postby BSinTX » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 am

I was in Minnesota last week and knew my next stop was going to be in Canada. Being well traveled, I know how pricey liquor tends to be when purchased outside the US, so I picked up a bottle of Courvoisier Napoleon for US $69.99. This is about $15 less than anywhere else I have seen it, so I figured it was a good time to try it.

Nose: Dried apricots, figs, honey, green bananas, and just a touch of vanilla. Yes, it smells quite nice!!

Taste: This has a good balance of flavors; the sweetness is candied fruit (oranges and apricots), cola, the bitterness is oak, , the sourness is lemon drops (the candy), and the spice is very much like chai tea and or licorice (just read on my chai tea packet that it contains anise.) While not overly complex, this is one of the better Courvoisier products I have tried. It's got a nice oily texture in the mouth.

Overall, I am quite happy with this purchase. The packaging is no nonsense, I like the smoked glass bottle, and the sauce inside isn't too shabby.

Mikethevike
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Courvoisier Napoleon

Postby Mikethevike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Although I have not tried it myself, other cognac traders/drinkers/collectors tell me the Numbered Courvoisier Napoleon from 1960-1980 is one of the most affordable very good drinking cognacs. You can usually buy a bottle for less $100. I have a couple on the shelves bought for around that price maybe time for me to open one?
Attachments
Courvoisier Napoleon.jpg
Courvoisier Napoleon.jpg (10.5 KiB) Viewed 1871 times

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:08 pm

You can see my last two reviews of Courvoisier and I have not been remotely impressed with either of them. The 12YO had a very generic taste that I just could not get past, hence why I gave the second half of the bottle away. This Napoleon, though it probably contains artificial colorant and possibly some sugar, does not have that mass produced taste at all. I like the term, "Approachable"; this is something you could give to someone unfamiliar with Cognac and it will leave a good impression on them.

I'll tell you what, if the cost is less than $100 per bottle, go ahead and open a bottle, pour yourself a glass or two, put some electrical tape around the cork, send the rest of the bottle and I'll buy it from you. I know you aren't much of a drinker and would not encourage you to open a bottle just to test my theory. My guess is that the quality of the older stuff from the 60's is top notch.

Bullman
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Bullman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:41 am

We can't get Napoleon here, I've tried to convince our abc (alcoholic beverage control) in N.C. there's a difference between that and X.O. but it falls on deaf ears. But X.O. at 99.00 u.s. a bottle at www.WineAnthology.com, I'll buy it every time. The Bullman
love the V.S.O.P. also and just finished off a bottle. 3 in reserve.

Return to “Courvoisier”