Rémy Martin XO

mora the explorer
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Rémy Martin XO

Postby mora the explorer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Today I bought the best cognac available in my county Rémy Martin XO.

It came with a box that is also a valet box(low quality and doesn't say anything about being made in France...)

mora the explorer
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Rémy Martin XO

Postby mora the explorer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:51 pm

I forgot to ask does the box add anything to value or should I use it?

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:54 pm

I suppose for re-sale value, the box couldn't hurt. On the other hand, if you're going to drink it, the box won't do much for you - keep it if you like it! I keep some of my favorite boxes from various bottles as a memory/keepsake.

wouter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wouter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:55 pm

mora the explorer wrote:Today I bought the best cognac available in my county Rémy Martin XO.

Very nice Cognac and box! Congratulations! :D In my opinion the Remy XO is one of the better widely available Cognacs, especially because the use of Fine Champagne Cognacs....

Also see my Remy XO Review...

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:21 am

I had really been looking forward to trying a sample of this again. It's been almost a year since I had it at a bar - itself the first time in years - and I was pleasantly surprised. I recalled that it was a bit spicy and nutty, along with floral notes, but I didn't do proper tasting notes then. Needless to say, I went for a few minis of the VSOP-XO line to see how it developed, the different lines, and to try some of the big houses again because I've avoided them for a few years on the whole.

Nose: Wow, almost all in on the tropical fruits still. Very clearly in the same fruity vein as the VSOP and VSOP Mature Cask (though the VSOP was the most like the G-R Muscat; this was tropical but the profile was less on orange fruits and apricot). It's richer and denser than the younger expressions, and the fruit is perhaps topped with a drizzle of brown sugar syrup. Mint, wood, menthol. Less spirity, but still some sugar-water. Something a little dark, cardamom, cinnamon, and anise. Whiffs also of a fruit scented marker(?!)

Palate: More substantial, yet still sugar water in there, stewed fruit: pear, mango, papaya, apricot. Medium quality vanilla extract and general spice.

Finish: Far more developed than the VSOPs, still a very sweet water (not as painfully so as the VSOP mature cask), and fruit. Not as much spice or complexity as I recalled. C.

I really had been looking for the spice again. Generally an inoffensive drink, but it also doesn't really excel anywhere (other than in not offending).

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Agreed with the preceding post: its best quality is not offending.
I bought a sample of this recently, I was somewhat curious after having tasted the VSOP, Coeur de Cognac and an old Napoleon. It is very much on fruits, although less high pitched than the Coeur de Cognac. There is a bit more wood, some vanilla on the palate and finish that complement the fruits (I didn't get hints of papaya but definitely agree on mango, apricot and maybe some passion fruit), but it somehow lacks something...

I believe the age statement is accurate, there is probably a good portion of 10 YO brandy here with a bit of older sauce to help being grounded in darker and woodier flavours. The Courvoisier XO is spicier however and more interesting imo...

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks! I'm glad that you found the notes fairly accurate/representative. I'm marking my own experience, but I do frequently wonder whether they seem to hit the mark for others.

Of course, that leaves the Remy XO where it is... best left for others.

Return to “Rémy Martin”