Coconut Water

For all questions and issues concerning the world of Cognac. Feel free to ask questions!
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Coconut Water

Postby BSinTX » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:37 am

I work for an international company and one of my colleagues from Puerto Rico suggested that I try coconut water in my whiskey instead of plain water. I decided to give it a try a few days ago and have to admit I am quite impressed!! Coconut water, NOT MILK!!!!

Yesterday, I went with Elmer T. Lee; an old favorite Bourbon that just makes me smile. I hit it with a capful of coconut water instead of the usual splash of bottled water and was met with a surprisingly wonderful pour. Everything about the bourbon was a bit more intense; a bit sweeter, a bit spicier, a bit woodier, and yet that familiar flavor and aroma were not tainted at all.

Tonight, I am sipping on the Menuet VSOP which I did a review on a few weeks ago. As I stated in the review, I hit this with a tiny splash of water to help get it going. This time, I hit it with some coconut water and could not be happier. This is a new thing for me; it is difficult to say exactly what is different.

I am suggesting to those who like to add a small amount of water to whatever they are drinking to give this a go. I cannot wait to try this with some rum!!

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Coconut Water

Postby Pierre » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Looks like you're quite enthusiast about it !! Too bad that I hate cononut... :?
On another level, I remember mixing some wodka with fresh smashed water melon (the big one that's red inside, not the cantaloupe, I hope I'm clear enough :mrgreen: ) and it was quite nice ! For the record I usually don't like wodka very much. However I doubt it would be as pleasant with brown alcohol...

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:21 am

Yeah, if you don't like coconut, this would not be something you would enjoy. It is a strange thing that I have only recently discovered coconut water. Living in Kentucky, we don't have many coconut trees 'round these parts. I was just browsing the aisles in the shopping center looking for something to drink besides the usual; coffee, tea or water. As I was pushing heavy during training season, I am always looking for ways to get extra calories; eating 4,000 calories a day is not as easy as you may think. Juice shakes/protein shakes are a good way to do so and coconut water has shown itself to be an excellent choice. Trust me, orange juice doesn't go well with any sort of chocolate protein mix!!

I am quite happy that I stumbled upon coconut water as a nice addition to neat spirits. It's quite a refreshing alternative to water when sipping on Bourbon and it has shown itself to be equally at home in a VSOP. I am looking forward to seeing how this does in rum.

Andre
New distillate
New distillate

Postby Andre » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:23 pm

That sounds good and interesting,Something completely new for me.I must say this is a very fine forum about cognac.
And this coconut water thing is amazing surely gonna try it ;)

Flintliddon
New distillate
New distillate

Postby Flintliddon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:39 pm

What was the sugar content? Coconut waters I've seen range from 4 grams to 34 grams. I like coconut water with about 9 to 14 grams of sugar, not too sweet. I have never tried as you recommend but plan to do so. Interesting suggestion. But would be interested to know how sweet was you coconut water.

Return to “Questions and general subjects about Cognac”