Italian Brandy

For all questions and issues concerning the world of Cognac. Feel free to ask questions!
Altair80
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Italian Brandy

Postby Altair80 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 am

Hi,

Would you advice me an italian brandy?

I found this in my wine shop:

Antinori Brandy - 30€ (6 years old)
Berta 20 years - 49€

Do you know this brandy??

Altair80
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Re: Italian Brandy

Postby Altair80 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:26 am

Ok. What's your favorite brandy? Of all.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 pm

The only Italian brandy I have been misfortunate enough to try is Grappa. Made me wonder how people so good at making wine could be so bad at making brandy..... Then again, the stuff I had was probably distilled in the moonlight in a shed out back.....right next to the wine making barn. 8-)

Favorite brandy? Vintage Armagnac.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 am

Grappa's a different beast, innit? I've no idea when I'm really going to take the plunge and go for it either. I think that Spanish brandy is also pretty popular in Italy.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 am

Yeah, I think Grappa is made with the leftovers when making wine, rather than distilling the wine itself. One might choose to rinse with lighter fluid in order to get the grappa taste out of ones mouth. I've tried German brandy which was made with cherries, which just so happened to sound much better than it tasted. Actually, Germain Robin makes damn fine alambic brandies here in the US. I've never had Spanish, Armenian, or any other American brandy (I am tempted to try Laird's Apple Brandy.)

Altair80
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Altair80 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Yes, Grappa isn't brandy.
I asked for italian brandy because someone told me that the best brandy (excluded Cognac and Armagnac) are Italian, Spanish and armenian.
Spanish brandy is solera...........so.
Yesterday a friend adviced me brandy "Villa Zarri". He tell that it is good like Cognac XO. I don't know but I'll try.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Just to clarify, grappa is brandy. it's a spirit made from fruit, in this case it's made from grape pomace. Outside of grappa, I haven't heard much about Italian brandy.

Spanish brandy (Brandy de Jerez) does just the solera method, but it's still very good.

Even including grappa, there's not a wide selection of Italian brandy in the US (from what I've seen), and I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Mon May 06, 2013 7:10 am

Actually, many people who are lovers of grappa here in Italy say that it was not meant to be aged in wood casks. According to them, producers started to do that in order to hide the low quality of their "bare" products behind the wood. It's supposed to have started in the 70's or so when grappa became more popular and they wanted to broaden the market to a larger number of consumers. That would also be the moment when they started to reduce the alcohol content to 40% for most products, which made my father in law a bit angry...

All of this to say that many bad things are found here in Italy, so I can't even immagine what it could be in other countries... I myself was very reluctant with grappa when I arrived in Italy because when it's not very good it makes literally a node with my stomach :? However my father in law who has a very nice collection of old grappe started sharing them with me and I can say for sure there are very nice products here but they're not easy to find... For the big brands one could go with a Grappa di Picolit from Nonino (very different from a brandy however).

Now for italian brandies I really don't know much, people in Italy don't consider they're very strong on brandies and don't advertise their brandies very much. The best known one you can find at every bar is Vecchia Romagna but even though it's drinkable, it has nothing exceptionnal for himself... I'll let you know if I manage to find something worhtwhile.

Return to “Questions and general subjects about Cognac”