What are you sipping today???

For all questions and issues concerning the world of Cognac. Feel free to ask questions!
Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby Pierre » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:23 pm

I am curious about trying some Grosperrin, their philosophy seems appealing, however their prices are not so cheap nowadays... The only acessibles for me are the most recent ones.

As for Camus I am also itching to try some, particularly this Ile de Ré line. However I've read that because of the sea influence it gets closer to a Scotch whisky, which might not be your style BSinkY... I'll sure be curious to hear your thoughts about it ! And please just tell me: how do you manage to grab such venerable cigars, you aged them yourself ? Starting when you were 15 or something ?? Or you just have killer connections...? :mrgreen: Anyway I like the milder R&J like the number 2, I think I'll have a go at the churchill but there are cheaper vitolas I wanna try before that. I just smoked a Partagas Corona Senior yesterday which was pleasing, however the zacapa rhum was a bit too sweet to really pair well imo (why so sweet btw...? I am suspecting additives there)
Last edited by Pierre on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jamie76
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Jamie76 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Pierre wrote:I am curious about trying some Grosperrin, there philosophy seems appealing, however their prices are not so cheap nowadays... The only acessibles for me are the most recent ones.

As for Camus I am also itcing to try some, particularly this Ile de Ré line. However I've read that because of the see influence it gets closer to a Scotch whisky, which might not be your style BSinkY... I'll sure be curious to hear your thoughts about it ! And please just tell me: how do you manage to grab such venerable cigars, you aged them yourself ? Starting when you were 15 or something ?? Or you just have killer connections...? :mrgreen: Anyway I like the milder R&J like the number 2, I think I'll have a go at the churchill but there are cheaper vitolas I wanna try before that. I just smoked a Partagas Corona Senior yesterday which was pleasing, however the zacapa rhum was a bit too sweet to really pair well imo (why so sweet btw...? I am suspecting additives there)

You would be correct about the additives. Take a drop of the Zacapa and place it on a counter or plate, etc and let the alcohol evaporate. You are left with the sticky remains. A great introductory rum. I went back to it recently and had to dump it out. The cloying sweetness was too much.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks for the confirmation Jamie ! The darkness was also a bit suspect but I never want to be too suspicious...

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:22 pm

On Saturday, I returned from a five day trip to Argentina. I was able to spend Thursday walking around Buenos Aires. While we are going into the autumn, they are in spring in S.A. so the weather was nice!

I returned to a cold and rainy day in Kentucky. Cigars were off the menu so I broke out the Calvados. Christian Drouin Hors D'Age (15 YO). I love this stuff!!

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Along with a few folks, polished off the last of a bottle of Tesseron Lot 53. Then went back to Bouju XO, though it was odd. I just didn't enjoy it like I used to do. :?

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm going to have to revisit some long-opened bottles of Bouju's 40% offerings tonight. Last time I had the Tres Vieux, it didn't seem as big as I rememered. It's probably my palate because I also cracked a 375 of the NP Brandy de Jerez, which was very good, but slight on the palate.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:27 pm

There are days where nothing seems satisfying enough... On those days it's better to close the cabinet and wake up in a better mood on the next day ;)
You make me think it is now some time I haven't had a sip of Bouju ! I've been emptying a sample of Courvoisier XO, but I didn't really know what to say about it... There is an interesting spiciness on the tongue but the rest is quite classic, wood and vanilla, I couldn't concentrate enough to grasp anything more specific :cry:

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 am

Oddly enough, work has me in Kentucky of all places. Keeping it local, I have been getting into the Woodford Reserve. I purchased a 1 liter bottle of this at the duty free shop in Atlanta for $40!! Sometimes Bourbon just kicks ass!!

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Even if prices went up, the quality/price ratio of bourbon is sometimes just awesome, you have to admit that...

Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Deemancpa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 pm

On vacation this week, a Little Grosperrin abv 48.6% made with Folle Blanche.....some almond and vanilla on the nose and palate. Cigar Dipolmaticos #3

Don't what to believe on the story of this: purchased barrels from a Parisian widow...etc......

Marketing? perhaps.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (760.63 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

Return to “Questions and general subjects about Cognac”