What are you sipping today???

For all questions and issues concerning the world of Cognac. Feel free to ask questions!
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:52 am

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby BSinTX » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:06 am

It's hard to say for sure Deeman as JG is a negociant....not sure if that is a word or not but he doesn't actually make his own sauce. I have a few bottles of JG and hopefully one more soon enough.

This week, it's back to the Tariquet 15YO FB Armagnac. Last night I went ahead and cracked open the bottle of Camus Isle de Re double matured and am very excited to give you folks a review some time soon. I have to get into it a bit more but what a good impression it made after the first sip.

Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby Deemancpa » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:24 am

Good. I'd like to know your thoughts on the Camus. Last year, I bought a bottle of the Camus lle de Re Cliffside Cellar(posted in the New Purchase Thread last year)and I didn't really like it. This was before I bought a couple of single malts. I need to go back an revisit.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:52 am

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby BSinTX » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:26 pm

I also have a bottle of the Cliffside Cellar, unopened at this moment, and passed on the non-double matured for fear it would be too much like a VS for my liking. What was it about the Cliffside you didn't like? Going by the Camus website, these are completely different from one another (not a bad thing) so I am curious as to what I will be getting into when I open the Cliffside bottle.

Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby Deemancpa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:23 am

BSinKY wrote:I also have a bottle of the Cliffside Cellar, unopened at this moment, and passed on the non-double matured for fear it would be too much like a VS for my liking. What was it about the Cliffside you didn't like? Going by the Camus website, these are completely different from one another (not a bad thing) so I am curious as to what I will be getting into when I open the Cliffside bottle.


I've had this cognac in my cellar since last year. The nose is fruity and strong alcohol. It wants to be a whisky or scotch. It's fruity orange on the palate with a sweetness BUT this iodine saltiness is in the forefront. The finish is long leaving a strange after taste and the cognac soft and very thin.

My own opinion, it wants to become something it's not. It falls short with this salty palate. Maybe it needs to be aged longer. I would think whisky drinkers would want a higher abv.

dee
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (876.78 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:52 am

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby numen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 am

I'm going back to my long-opened 1976 Chateau de Beaulon. It's held beautifully

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:52 am

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby BSinTX » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:50 pm

numen wrote:I'm going back to my long-opened 1976 Chateau de Beaulon. It's held beautifully




I managed to grab a bottle before TPS sold out. I don't know when I will get around to opening it, but sure glad I grabbed it.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:52 am

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby BSinTX » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:36 pm

I did my best to get into the Camus Ile de Re but it just wasn't happening. There is a saltiness to it that I am not fond of and really cannot understand how this is actually allowed to be labeled as Cognac. I put the bottle away for another day, perhaps in the spring. This pretty much concluded me foray into the VSOP market and I went ahead and opened Chateau de Montifaud XO. It will take me some time go get my bearings but man do I miss drinking the really good stuff!!

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:52 am

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby numen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48 pm

I decided to revisit the 1963 Coeur de Lion calvados as a treat to myself; same opened bottle, but this is fairly low fill (20-25% left).

The oak is more prominent, and it's still rich and on red apples. I've been very sensitive to oak lately, and it's here, yet it's all still pretty damn classy.

Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby Deemancpa » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:37 am

Drinking more bourbon.. Col EH Taylor & Rare Eagle 10. I'm not to far from the Bowman Distillery, so maybe a visit.

Where to buy daniel bouju?
TPS no longer ships alcohol..

Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: What are you sipping today???

Postby Deemancpa » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:38 am

BSinKY wrote:I did my best to get into the Camus Ile de Re but it just wasn't happening. There is a saltiness to it that I am not fond of and really cannot understand how this is actually allowed to be labeled as Cognac. I put the bottle away for another day, perhaps in the spring. This pretty much concluded me foray into the VSOP market and I went ahead and opened Chateau de Montifaud XO. It will take me some time go get my bearings but man do I miss drinking the really good stuff!!



Good Whew...I thought maybe it was only me with the Ile de Re


Return to “Questions and general subjects about Cognac”