From whiskey to cognac

For all questions and issues concerning the world of Cognac. Feel free to ask questions!
Jubei Spiegel
New distillate
New distillate

From whiskey to cognac

Postby Jubei Spiegel » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Greetings,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to request some forum links to threads that are good for newbies to cognac.

Whiskey/scotch is currently what I enjoy, and I wanted to start getting into cognac. Standing in my local TotalWine yesterday, in front of the cognac section, I didn't know where to start. The only brands i recognized where the ones I suspect are looked down upon here (Remy Martin, Hennessy, Courvoisier, Camus, etc.). I don't know what the designations mean (VS, VSOP, XO, etc.), how to assess quality vs price, or even what to expect in terms of taste and flavors (in comparison to whiskey/scotch).

What threads can arm me with the knowledge I will need to begin my journey? Recommendations of introductory choices that could be sample side by side by a newbie (for comparison) would also be helpful (maybe 4-5 choices). Thank you all for the help, I can't wait to start.

Jubei Spiegel
New distillate
New distillate

Re: From whiskey to cognac

Postby Jubei Spiegel » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:46 pm

It looks like this is not a very active forum anymore, but there is a lot of good info in older threads. I'll do my best to pick up some tips from those.

My local TotalWine suggested A de Fussigny, as a good quality cognac at a good price. I took home the Selection version, which was very tasty (albeit a bit light). A nice change of pace from my usual single malt. My goal is to pick up a VSOP and XO version of A de Fussigny, so that I can get a base line to compare other cognacs to going forward.

Thanks again for looking everyone.

Return to “Questions and general subjects about Cognac”