Q: How much does cork affect cognac?

For all questions and issues concerning the world of Cognac. Feel free to ask questions!
redq
New distillate
New distillate

Q: How much does cork affect cognac?

Postby redq » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:08 pm

So, i have found an opened cognac bottle at home. It's %75 full. Unfortunately, when i looked at it closely, i've found out that the cork has dropped inside the bottle. I can only presume that it has been stting like that for a few years :(

Considering i have never tasted any cognac before, how much does this affect my enjoyment from the bottle?

And, in what condition is my congac now?
Is the bottle ruined now?
Is it not good but drinkable?
Is it still good but just lost some flavor?

Any word from enthusiasts would be really appriciated.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Q: How much does cork affect cognac?

Postby BSinTX » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Typically, an open bottle is good for about a year after it is opened. This is not to say that it "goes bad" but the flavor profile certainly changes. Cork is a natural product and is used because it's typically flavor neutral. Really, all you would need to do is filter your Cognac through a strainer to remove any large bits. Some products such as Port are actually stored on their side to keep the cork wet.

I would probably presume your bottle is "good but lost some flavor" category. You can always decant the remaining contents into another bottle or just get yourself a new cork. Any shop that sells and does taste tests with wines usually have corks laying all over the place.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:45 am

Ciao, I think it is safe to say that you don't risk anything by tasting, in the worst cases the cork can affect the taste of the spirit (I don't know the chemical process but it's been seen...) but it won't make you ill. Usually it does pretty much nothing (spirits are strong stuff !). Just taste a drop and let us know. And filter it with whatever you have at home, after you got a new cork.

redq
New distillate
New distillate

Postby redq » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Alright, i filtered it and replaced the cork as you said. Also, i didn't noticed any off taste (not that i understand much about cognac). It seems i will be enjoying this bottle, thanks:)

jamesharry1
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby jamesharry1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:04 am

Thankyou posting..i will try to do the same..to enjoy my congnac

Return to “Questions and general subjects about Cognac”