My first bottle of Cognac.....little help?

For all questions and issues concerning the world of Cognac. Feel free to ask questions!
Behike54
New distillate
New distillate

My first bottle of Cognac.....little help?

Postby Behike54 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:07 am

Hey everybody,

I am here to try and find out about cognac at the urgings from a fellow cigar smoker who favors the same region I do.

Anyway, after doing some research I learned some things and am considering a bottle of "Pierre Ferrand Ambre."

1) It seems to be a good value given its age and complexity.

2) I read a couple reviews about it being "more fruit and flower and less heat and wood." To me that sounds like a good way to start and says a lot about cognac right there.

Yes, I am buying blind. Never had a sip of cognac aside from being youngster and taking a sip of what was no doubt, swill, from a friend's liquor cabinet while his parents were away. I live in a one-cow town after moving from Cleveland and there are no restaurants where I can even try anything good.

Suggestions and feedback encouraged!

Things I enjoy presently are the following (in order)

Zaya 12yr Reserve rum
Ron Zacapa Centenario Solera Grand Reserve
Havana Club 7 for sipping
Havana Club 3 for mojitos

Black Maple Hill 21 yr (gift) ;)
Blanton's bourbon
Baker's
Noah's Mill

Glenlivet 18
Highland Park 12
Talisker 10 year

Thanks for your time and attention!
"A good Cuban cigar closes the door to the vulgarities of the world."
-- Franz Liszt, Composer

Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: My first bottle of Cognac.....little help?

Postby Deemancpa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Jack,
PF Ambre is pretty good QPR. I would describe it as soft and mellow with no rough edges. My wife likes this expression. I would also describe it as fruity with a light spice undertone.

Consider Hennessy VSOP or Martell VSOP, as there are readily available almost everywhere without the big investment.

Dee-man

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi !

This is completely subjective but Pierre Ferrand Ambre is undoubtedly my worst buy... Not representative of cognac imo. Many people tend to praise it, but for the same amount of money more or less you can find other VSOP cognacs, some of which have been reviewed here on the forum, I believe it's a good starting base. Personnally I'd recommend Meukow VS or VSOP for "not too expensive cognac" but I don't know about availability of this where you live.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:16 pm

I'd echo Pierre on the Pierre Ferrand. I haven't had good experiences with it, and some of your exposure to it will depend on expectations. To what sort of selection do you have access?

Return to “Questions and general subjects about Cognac”