Mount Gay 1703 Rum, 43%

Other worthwhile things in life! Such as cigars, wine, coffee, watches, cars etc. ..
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Mount Gay 1703 Rum, 43%

Postby numen » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:24 am

from a purchased sample

Nose: Here we are again on the lighter caramel-sugar-toffee-fudge thing. Fairly significant vanilla at the forefront. A few grains of salt and coffee liqueur. Some smoky notes and burned molasses spice cake, but mainly in the second layer. The caramelly quality dominates. Imagine liquefying Brach's caramel chews and you're not far from the mark.

Palate: What? Where'd the richness go? Sugary sweet and a touch of banana. A few rough edges with bitterness, but heavily on caramel and buttery toffee-fudge with a drop of vanilla. This is linear, but tasty.

Finish: Nothing new here. Strongly on the caramel, vanilla, and buttery toffee. Very slight sense of a darker and more bitter note. It's nice and easy enough to sip, though it lacks weight and a presence on the palate. The finish has decent length at least. B- (81/82)

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Mount Gay 1703 Rum, 43%

Postby BSinTX » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:35 pm

I would be interested to know what the modern equivalent to this would be. I am a huge fan of the MG XO and recently acquired a bottle directly from Barbados (the stuff on their shelves is NOT the same as the stuff on ours!) Looks like they recently introduced "Black Barrel' which I have to give a try one of these days (now is perfect rum season.)

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Mount Gay 1703 Rum, 43%

Postby numen » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm not sure what, specifically, this would be; it was just a sample from the Master of Malt site. I'd bet that the stuff sold in the Barbados is better than the same bottle label sold here. Americans love the really sweet stuff, by and large (I've heard that cognac produced for the US tends to be just a touch sweeter), so I'd bet that there's tons of sugar and some flavoring added to it. I've heard that rum producers also will add lots of flavoring to their spirit because there's virtually no legal definition of what constitutes rum. There are 'spiced rums' on the market, but I'd also expect that there's a lot of other stuff in bottles not marked or sold as such.

Return to “All other delights”