Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum 40%

Other worthwhile things in life! Such as cigars, wine, coffee, watches, cars etc. ..
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum 40%

Postby numen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 pm

tasted from a purchased sample

I was in the mood for a bout of rum, so I decided to set up a little tasting line-up. I started with this highly regarded Venezuelan stuff.

Nose: The initial whiffs are of rubbing alcohol and varnish, but, mercifully, this blows off after a few minutes and turns into something really nice. Light molasses, honey syrup, cinnamon, a pinch of sea salt for the coastal quality, and a drop of bourbon vanilla extract. Graceful and eminently quaffable from here. Trace of cocoa. Real toffee/caramel quality with dense, moist spice cake and dates.

Palate: Delightfully light and full of flavor. It reminds me almost of a rhum agricole for the sugary sweet vein. More straightforward and thinner. Vanilla, light wood, which adds structure, honey, sassafras, and a balanced salty-sweet-dry note. Orange liqueur and spice cake in the backdrop.

Finish: The wood emerges more here and it trails off with greater emphasis on the salty and bitter, with the residual sweetness in the mix. Cocoa, coffee, and vanilla with the usual rhum agricole profile. Very drinkable and satisfying, even if not the most complex. C+/B-

bobt
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Re: Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum 40%

Postby bobt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Just opened my bottle last week, its profile belies the fact that it is only 4 to 6 years old. Smooth and complex.

Return to “All other delights”