Pyrat XO Rum

Other worthwhile things in life! Such as cigars, wine, coffee, watches, cars etc. ..
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Pyrat XO Rum

Postby numen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Nose: Rather spirity and spicy. Brown sugar, banana, vanilla, pressed orange zest (in check)/burned orange. All-spice and cinnamon. There's a touch of wood. Some sweetness, but it's neither saccharine nor heavy and dark. It's a very fine middle ground. Traces of milk chocolate.

Palate: Syrupy and spicy here, too! This is good pirate booty! Twigs of crushed mint, and anise from the mint. The sweetness is extremely well balanced. It's also very herbal and reminds me of Chartreuse's elixir, which I love. Brown sugar, and fantastic Spanish oranges, topped off with brown baking spices.

Finish: Mint and orange overlay the moderate sweetness. I rather like this one, and I'm curious to know where the orange, mint, and herbal elements come from. The citrus notes are a bit loud at times, but it's impressive how the things here are greater than the mere sum of the parts. B/B+

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Pyrat XO Rum

Postby BSinTX » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:25 am

I had this rum once. Not bad as in Bacardi, but darned if it wasn't a bit.....orangie (or is it orangy?) Very different in terms of rum, but way to sweet for my liking.

sjp1966
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sjp1966 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Not tried this rum as yet. will mark down to see if I can try some.

Ben.C
New distillate
New distillate

Postby Ben.C » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:27 pm

not a rum expert, but have a general understanding and appreciation for most spirits after working in a decently upperclass bar...
i remember trying some rums as Appletons 21yr and Masterblend... and another one that was almost $30 per shot... Found the Pyrat XO to be beautifully smooth and balanced spice and fruit... yes it was on the sweeter side, but considering rum is from sugar cane its what i personally enjoy about Rum - having a combination of alcoholic bite/sting, then calmed by sweetness.

i went and bought a bottle the week after.
really recommend it for people who shy away from the harder hitting types of spirits

just my 2 cents! ha

Jamie76
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Jamie76 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Rum is not sweet per se because it is a cane spirit, rather it is sweet because it is loaded with so many additives. Unfortunately, there are few regulations when it comes to rum. A lot of true rums can be compared to a good bourbon or malt whisky. However, if you are tasting a sweeter rum, there is a better than average chance it was doctored in some way. Pyrat XO doesn't pick up that orange flavor profile from the barrel its aging in.

Speaking of Pyrat. The flavor has changed dramatically in the last few years since Patron bought the original company out. XO and Cask 1623 (or Cask 23 as it was originally called) definitely didn't have the sweet orange profile you taste today. That isn't to say either didn't have additives in years past.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 am

Jamie76, you're probably right about the sweetness aspect. The heavy old demeraras that I've had are less sweet, but they tend to be tougher to find in the US. On the other hand, I really liked Smith and Cross naval rum, which was also a bit less sweet.

Ben.C, I'd be pretty interested in your impression of various spirits, both as a drinker and as a bartender! What was it like serving and what did you hear from folks and their impressions?

Return to “All other delights”