Bolivar Corona Gigante

Other worthwhile things in life! Such as cigars, wine, coffee, watches, cars etc. ..
Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Bolivar Corona Gigante

Postby Pierre » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 am

This summer I found a stick of this Bolivar Churchill that was rolled in 2001 (!!). I happily bought it and decided to give it a try recently after stabilizing it a bit in the humidor... And given the size of this, I decided to use it as an experiment: smoke it with all kinds of sipirits present in my cabinet. Thus I tried it with the following bottles:
* Rhum Pampero Aniversario (40%)
* Cognac Martell Cordon Bleu (Old bottling, 40%)
* Bas-Armagnac Clos Martin 1987 (48.6%)
* Blanton's Gold Edtion (51.5%)
* Glenlivet 17 years old first fill sherry (56.2%)
forum1.JPG
forum1.JPG (437.55 KiB) Viewed 1399 times

I tried them exactly in the same order as above, by increasing abv. Here's what I noticed:
The cigar starts quite mildly with very moderate strength, precious wood, hazelnut, sweet puffs here and there (nice !), elegant and very pleasant. At this point the rhum Pampero is too sweet and the pairing is not very welcome: I remember now why I don't drink much from this bottle, there's probably artificial sweeteners there, too much... The Cordon Bleu however mixes much better because it's much more discrete, the smoke from the cigar mixes with the flavours remained on the tongue. I'm starting to understand how the spirit can hide or not the more subtle flavours of a cigar ! At that point the cigar becomes earthier with still a good wood presence and agrumes: tha strength of the armagnac is welcome here but it's too fruity to mix well with the cigar, too bad...
The burn was very good in the first half but now I have to light it again two or three times in the second half. Some leather appears in the last half and the Blanton's is quite appreciated with it's charred wood flavours :mrgreen: Have to remember to pair my other Bolivars with good bourbon ! The smoke is more important there, quite welcome. The sherried Glenlivet coming in the end is also a good pairing, it's dryer than a bourbon or armagnac and the strength goes along with the last third of this cigar that ends up with considerably more power than the beginning ;)

Nice cigar overall ! Now I understand that I should have enjoyed it "neat" on the first half or at least the first third to get a little better the most subtle flavours... In the end the winners have been the whisk(e)ies: bourbon and scotch. I'm curious to see if it gets confirmed with my other Bolivars...
forum2.JPG
forum2.JPG (400.43 KiB) Viewed 1399 times

forum2b.JPG
forum2b.JPG (405.94 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Last edited by Pierre on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Bolivar Corona Gigante

Postby Pierre » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:34 am

Additional photos:
forum3.JPG
forum3.JPG (399.42 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

forum4.JPG
forum4.JPG (415.87 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Great idea Pierre!! One of the best aspects of a fine Habano is the complexity....the cigar does not stay the same from start to finish. I agree that spirits that are too sweet don't usually go well with a good cigar. Despite being told so by many distillers, I just don't mix cigars and Calvados. I have a bottle of Mt. Gay XO rum from Barbados (literally, purchased in Barbados) and I'm sure it will pair well with a good smoke. Some of the sweeter rums, I just doubt. I am almost certain that the Bourbon would pair well with the smoke as heavy oak and leathery smokes are just a fantastic combo.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:42 am

Yep, right about that cuban complexity, I found other cigars to be a little more linear, and imo a bit bland: dominicans and honduras cigars did not convince me at all ! Nicaraguayans are somewhat better 'cause they have some good strength at least...

Did you try that particular Bolivar ? What do you think of it ? It's a bit long for me (17 cm is no joke !), however I enjoyed it. In general I prefer corona-like formats, especially petit corona. Looks like the trend is to make short cigars anyway, too bad they're starting to produce ring 54-55 cigars, I don't like the fat ones too much...

Return to “All other delights”