Camut Calvados K&L Exclusive 15 year old (40%)

Reviews and descriptions about anything other than Cognac/Armagnac can be placed in this forum.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Camut Calvados K&L Exclusive 15 year old (40%)

Postby numen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 pm

I first tried this a few weeks ago, and then a few times since, and decided to consolidate my notes to some extent. After all, it's winter, there's a chill in the air, and apple is well suited.
From the K&L Spirits Journal:
http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwin ... ecial.html
http://kl-spirits.squarespace.com/klwin ... camut.html

There were only about 300 bottles of this; and the only time that Camut has bottled a 15 year old (usually, at this range, the house produces 12 and 18 year expressions). Sadly, it looks like all are now gone, but the Camut range is still available in limited quantities.

Nose: Bright and fresh apple. There's no hiding that this is calvados. Bear with me as most of the descriptors for this are going to be apple-based. A little "green" for the acidity, and it has very tart sugar aromas. Vanilla and then maybe some cinnamon. This is very heavy on the fruit, and a bit lighter for the wood. Rather linear on the whole, but vibrant and no shy wallflower.

Palate: Very seductive and silky. For as sweet as the nose is, this is dry in the mouth, but not drying. Apple, vanilla, and the barrel wood is more prominent here. Almost some licorice. Less green as much as acidic, dry red apple in unsweetened apple juice.

Finish: Yep, pretty much more of the same, with a bit more acidic dryness. It's straight-forward, medium-bodied (oops, more of a mouth note). Though it's pretty straightforward, as are many Calvados, it's impressive the extent to which this really keeps the apple in the fore. Admittedly, Calvados/apple brandy is probably the brandy that most retains the flavor of its base fruit, but this keeps it true, and it's a great age-point here. It's not so young that it's tight, acidic "green," nor is it so old that it's woody "red" apple. It's just very well made, direct, and true to its fruit. B+

I haven't had any other Camut bottles yet, but I'm certainly intrigued and impressed with their effort here. I probably would want to try their 18 and 25/30 year old blends to see how they develop, and whether they are able to keep the fruit so primary and how the spirit develops secondary and tertiary characteristics and complexity. In fact, K&L chose this age for the bottle very deliberately because it was able to demonstrate the finesse of age, but not the loss of the fruit, as so many people were looking to just spend a few more bucks to get a bottle with 3 more years, mentally equating price/age with quality. There is a qualitative difference between the 15 and 18, but not necessarily a change in quality :) Though, to get back on point, this is delicious stuff, and I'm already on my third pour today. It's just so drinkable.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Camut Calvados K&L Exclusive 15 year old (40%)

Postby BSinTX » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Nice score (meaning your purchase.) I have 1 bottle of Calvados and can only hope TPS will acquire something other than Cardinal and the VSOP's. It is amazing in that when drinking Cognac or Armagnac, grapes is seldom if ever a word used to describe the aroma; with Calvados.....yep it's apples!!

Funny story, I made an apple dessert last week using 6 different types of apples. My friend was able to distinguish one type of apple from another, even with all the sugar and spice! To me, it was just a sweet, appley dessert.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Camut Calvados K&L Exclusive 15 year old (40%)

Postby numen » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:07 am

Hehe, that's pretty true. I mean, what's the most prominent type of fruit flavor in some cognacs? Prune.plum! Some have a grapiness, but not on the scale of apple in calvados. Admittedly, I think of younger, more acidic apple/calvados as "green" and the more mature stuff as "red," but I'm sure that I couldn't identify the actual color of the apples involved, let alone the specific varieties! Your friend's ability is impressive, sir!

Return to “Brandy Reviews and descriptions”