Edmond Briottet Tres Vieux Marc de Bourgogne, 43%

Reviews and descriptions about anything other than Cognac/Armagnac can be placed in this forum.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Edmond Briottet Tres Vieux Marc de Bourgogne, 43%

Postby numen » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm

from a purchased sample

Nose: The obvious estery pomace quality in there, and strongly floral and then fruity. A field of irises and violets, with a patch of dried waxy and bitter red flowers. Musty grapes (ed: sigh... is this what we've come to in descriptions?) peach and apricots, all musty, too, obviously. Vanilla wafts up, almost like a boozy and sharply sugary cake frosting. Not sweet on the whole, which is a relief. Lightly honeyed as well.

Palate: A bit light on the whole, and very fun and easy. Honey, vanilla/dry+bitter oak, more floral and herbal with twigs, jasmine, and an echo of very sweet mint. Fruit is clearly there in the second layer, peach, apricot (hint), sweet lemon, and then golden grapes and raisins. Touch of mirabelle.

Finish: Continues to the same point where it was trending, and the retrolfaction just highlights the intense golden raisin quality -- like somebody took juicy raisins and mashed them up and let them ferment briefly before adding a few drops of floral honey. Not the most complicated, but very easy to enjoy and clearly well made. B+

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Edmond Briottet Tres Vieux Marc de Bourgogne, 43%

Postby Pierre » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:27 am

I feel I could enjoy that quite a lot... Thanks for the suggestion !

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Edmond Briottet Tres Vieux Marc de Bourgogne, 43%

Postby numen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 am

I wasn't sure what to expect; I've had a few marc, and have enjoyed them, but I rather liked this one. And it's pretty affordable, too. Master of Malt is selling bottles for about 28 GBP, which is more than reasonable. I've been growing keener on pomace brandy. During my recent trip to France, I spent most of my time drinking pineau de charentes and marc. It was good stuff.

Return to “Brandy Reviews and descriptions”