Francis Darroze 1977 Domaine de Dupont

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Armagnac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Francis Darroze 1977 Domaine de Dupont

Postby numen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Domaine de Dupont 1977, 29 years in barrel

Dupont 1977 for forum.jpg
Dupont 1977 for forum.jpg (98.9 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

Nose: Rich, full, and rather spicy. Figs (dried), light prune, maybe something like banana - very slightly. Cinnamon, all-spice, and rather full syrupy molasses.

Palate: Thick and chewy. Almonds, walnuts, vanilla, cinnamon, and perhaps some banana-nut bread. Figs in a stewed syrup reduction.

Finish: medium-long in duration. Maple syrup that's been slightly burned, more figs with a single banana slice. Bitter-sweet walnuts. This is really delicious, full, and hearty. Somewhere between 88 and 91 points, depending on the mood and my preference for banana in a spirit (even trace).

It's not an overwhelming amount of banana, but it's distinct to me. I wonder how much of the change has been due to bottle oxidation, but I doubt that there's much. The notes here are fairly similar to my notes from well over a year ago, and the strength is still there. This is definitely not overoaked, and there's really not much wood if at all in there. Alcohol is in balance. And the maple syrup with cinnamon is one of my favorite profiles in armagnac.

wouter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Francis Darroze 1977 Domaine de Dupont

Postby wouter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Nice review! Like the Banana-aroma's in some brandy's. Do you know a Cognac with banana-aroma's?

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Francis Darroze 1977 Domaine de Dupont

Postby numen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Hm, I haven't had any cognacs with that element in the profile. I've had it in a few Armagnacs, and wonder whether it's a reaction to the qualities of those grapes in that wood. I'll keep my taste-buds open for it and will let you know if I find it!

Return to “Armagnac Reviews and descriptions”