Choosing an Armagnac for Charity

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Armagnac.
Buck W.
New distillate
New distillate

Choosing an Armagnac for Charity

Postby Buck W. » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello! I need some assistance making an Armagnac selection for a Charity donation. I've been offered two choices, either one for $650.00: 1) 1958 Dartigalongue 50 year Bas-Armagnac, 2) 1949 Labiette Castille Armagnac. I know nothing about Armagnac, so any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Choosing an Armagnac for Charity

Postby BSinTX » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Although I am a huge fan of Armagnac, I don't know too many people who drink $650 bottles of anything (not regularly.) When it comes to vintages such as those, they will probably both be fantastic, although if you do not drink Armagnac regularly, you may not be able to tell the difference between those and something that goes for $130 per bottle. Do you plan on drinking it or just selling it at a later date? I may be interested in making you an offer, though I hope you keep in mind that Armagnac does not have a collectors value anything near the more popular Cognacs.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:36 am

Prices look quite normal for old vintages like these. Surely the Dartigalongue is the most known and reknown so if you have a collector state of mind or want to resell it, I'd go for that. If what you want is to drink it or get your hand on rarest producers, in your shoes I'd go for the Labiette Castille since I'm somewhat curious how it tastes :mrgreen: Either one should be fantastic anyway...

Buck W.
New distillate
New distillate

Postby Buck W. » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 pm

This is going to be part of a Charity auction lot to close a Wine Event. I'm calling it "The Night Cap". Three bottles - 1) 1994 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port (Magnum), 2) 1959 Blandy's Madeira Bual, 3) One of the Armagnacs I listed. All in a basket with some chocolates and salted caramel goodies. Hopefully, if the wine tasting portion of the evening has gone well, this lot will bring in some bucks. Thanks for your help!!http://thecognacforum.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=20&t=1652#

Return to “Armagnac Reviews and descriptions”