Delord 1975 (40%)

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Armagnac.
Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Delord 1975 (40%)

Postby Pierre » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:53 pm

This is a vintage from Delord, distilled in the fall of 1975 and bottled in January 2013, so a bit more than 37 years in the cask :) This is my oldest armagnac and one of my favourites for some time... It is reduced at 40% but during my visit at Delord I noticed that the vintages from the 70's were already down to 42% for most of them so I guess it's not so diluted (one of the nice things about armagnac).

Nose: this is mainly why I love this stuff... There's loads and loads of wood: oak, white wood, santal, exotic woods... And also some very nice spices, curcuma, cumin, a bit of curry, along with something I can only label as "furry". Giving it some time you can find some pleasant darker notes, something around tobacco (like a cigare).
Palate: some wood hits first along with bitterness, mature fruits (macerated); it's present but quick, fading on golden fruit and coffee. The bottle is now almost empty for some time and this is still not on the weak side.
Finish: here the bitterness actually depends on what I had for dinner or my mood... I didn't notice that much biterness on the first half of the bottle, maybe it changed over time. Anyway, some times it's a bit too much, sometimes it's just perfect. It then moves to white grapes (almost white wine sometimes), some tobacco and coffee that fades away somewhat quickly and leaves a wonderful feeling of green apples (and generally acid fruits), very long that part and quite pleasurable.

That's very good stuff for the price (bought it for 75€, so roughly 100$ I guess). There are some bottles of armagnac from the 80's that cost double that price... Granted, it might not be on the same scale than the Domaine Boingnères 1984 that I tasted, but when you consider quality/price ratio, I know what I would buy... I really appreciate that "big" armagnac producers like Delord are still on the quality side with very reasonnable prices, I sure do hope that it will be that way for a long time !

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Delord 1975 (40%)

Postby Pierre » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Interesting, tonight I'm sipping on this in a Glencairn glass and the aromas are a little bit different, the darker notes are reminiscent of caramel, it's a bit more bourboney :P I definitely need to experiment this "different glass" thing and compare !

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Glencairn glass. I have a few traditional nosing glasses, which are shaped like the Glencairn but with stems. I only break these out on special occasions as the stems easily break (and the glasses are expensive to replace.) There is a lot to be said about the proper shape glass when using your nose. Also, I tend to notice that products take on a different flavor and aroma after the bottle has been opened. This is why I typically do not write any reviews until I have been through a few pours.

35 YO Armagnac....must be nice!! I've got a few decanted bottles of 26YO stuff and LOVE the woodiness; perfect with a cigar.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Indeed I noticed that I enjoy armagnac more than cognac with a cigar (not used to pair bourbon with a cigar yet...), for me it's probably the best spirit for that (except maybe unusual stuff like Bouju). Since armagnac tends to be slightly bitter I believe it's not easy to age it more than 30 years and keep it balanced... But when it is, old armagnac is really fantastic :mrgreen:

Return to “Armagnac Reviews and descriptions”