Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac (It's NASTY!!!)

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Armagnac.
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac (It's NASTY!!!)

Postby BSinTX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:38 am

I found a small liquor store here in Hanover, PA and they have some really great prices. Hennessy XO is $179 per bottle ($240 everywhere else.) Anyhow, I happened to come upon a bottle of Marie Duffau Napoleon and thought I would give it a try as I have had great success in buying things I have never heard of before.

40% ABV.....for $36 a bottle, I guess I shouldn't complain.

Nose: Right off the bat, you can tell that this is absolute SHIT and a complete waste of money!! Strong aromas of paint thinner, shellac, mineral spirits, and cheap brandy. There is a bit of sweetness underneath, but the aromas of this product are just offensive.

Taste: The low quality shines throughout. Lots of pungent alcohol fills the sinus cavity. There is some sweetness once your sinus clears of the stench from the alcohol but the "cocoa, orange rind, cake batter, and vanilla advertised on the bottle are nowhere to be found.

I've been a drinker of spirits for a while and decided to hit this with a splash of water to see if I can prevent myself from dumping 745ml of nastiness down the drain.

Nose: Seems like the pungent aromas are more pronounced than ever. The only way I can describe them is for you to drink a LOT of a product one night and then go back and smell it the very next morning.

Taste: Water certainly improves the taste but because the aromas are only more offensive than before, it's just not worth trying to get through this.

What does one do with 745ml of the WORST TASTING Armagnac of all time???? DUMP IT!!!

This will not discourage me from trying new things, although it's the WORST tasting and WORST smelling Armagnac I have ever had the mispleasure of tasting or smelling. If I ever come across any other bottlings from Marie Duffau, I know what not to buy.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac (It's NASTY!!!)

Postby numen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow, though I will say that, even if this bottle was one of your least favorites, this thread is one of my most favorites. The photos are epic!

I had the Napoleon a few years ago, and I enjoyed it, even though it had a bubble-gum sweetness and seemed to be heavily adulterated. Bad batch perhaps?

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac (It's NASTY!!!)

Postby BSinTX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Why thank you!! I figured if nobody likes the review they can always admire (or frown upon) dumping the entire contents of a bottle down the drain moments after opening.

I don't like wasting money as I have to earn it, but I just couldn't get past the awful smell of this stuff. Then again, there are plenty of people out there seeking peated Scotch whisky....

Return to “Armagnac Reviews and descriptions”