Chateau de Pellehaut 1996/2013, Folle Blanche, K&L, 50.45%

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Armagnac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Chateau de Pellehaut 1996/2013, Folle Blanche, K&L, 50.45%

Postby numen » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:48 pm

gift sample

Nose: Rich and syrupy, vanilla, some vaguely floral notes, almond, and the alcohol is rather forward with a few distinct notes from it. Peach and apricot, and then some oak in greater strength with time. Pepper and creamy vanilla, brown sugar/maple syrup. Sweet flower wax. It has some of the usual Folle Blanche characteristics, it's just more dense and syrupy here.

Palate: Thick and syrupy. Are we noticing a trend? Almost fizzy. Hm, that's usually a sign about the oak. Oak is bitter and forward on entry. As it subsides, honey, peach, stewed fruits, vanilla, and gallons of softly sweet floral wax. The oak persists.

Finish: More of the same. The fruit and floral notes are really good, but the oak is just too loud for my liking. Not a fully typical Folle Blanche, with more 'brown' and 'syrup/stew' than the light, high pitch notes. The fruit and flowers, though, are typical. I wonder what the estate does with its oak, and how their F.B. would do with a little less time in barrel. B-

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Chateau de Pellehaut 1996/2013, Folle Blanche, K&L, 50.4

Postby Pierre » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:41 am

Hmmm, doesn't look as top notch as I expected :( I suspect you would like their younger FB (e.g. the 10 yo), it is lighter and very pleasing to sip. I was looking forward to hearing about FB vintages from Pellehaut, too bad it doesn't really look as I wished...

Return to “Armagnac Reviews and descriptions”