Domaine de Miquer 1993, 20 Year Old, 45% Folle Blanche

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Armagnac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Domaine de Miquer 1993, 20 Year Old, 45% Folle Blanche

Postby numen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Nose: Fresh, and fairly round for its age. There's a sense of the high pitch floral notes -- violets, irises, and orange blossoms - in light vanilla, though this is really a much fruitier and earthy/brown number. Lots of apricots, ripe peaches, nectarines, and you get the idea. A pinch of cinnamon and something of all the components stewing in a syrup with (light packed) brown sugar. Were it not for the lighter fruits, I'd see how somebody would mistake this for a fresh baco for that apricot/peach crumble type filling.

Palate: Apricot, peach, and honey. Yup. Medium-thick on entry. Vanilla, and then it gets a little runny. Vanilla in the wood, some spice, and spiciness. Fairly direct. The wood comes out of balance and the midpalate and doesn't fully go away. It merges with the vanilla and fruit and syrup, but the bitterness never goes away completely.

Finish: Very trace amount of the same fruits, and residual wax from dried violet petals. Vanilla and the wood/bitterness. I'd guess that there's some water added to this (due to the ABV at this age, though it could be that they distill to a low degree, and the slightly runny palate), and it's very approachable. None of the over-spirity and estery alcohol that you sometimes get from overly youthful armagnacs. The wood detracts and takes it all down a notch. Very nice flavors, even if there aren't too many. A very approachable, though not entirely typical, Folle Blanche. It's very good. I'd say B/B+, closer to the latter if you don't mind the wood/bitterness.

Dolph Lundgren
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Re: Domaine de Miquer 1993, 20 Year Old, 45% Folle Blanche

Postby Dolph Lundgren » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the review, Numen. I have this one on deck and it's getting cracked after I clear some more bottles out (I have 4 real nice Armagnacs opened right now). I tend to like a little oak influence so I think Domaine de Miquer 1993 might be in my wheelhouse.

I'll report back in about a month or so.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Dolph, always just happy to post my observations. I hope that you enjoy it when you get around to trying it, and will be curious to see how your impression compares. I got the other Miquer and am curious to see how it is similar and different, but first I've got to close out a few more bottles in the cabinet. I keep saying that, but keep winding up with more bottles opened than I had before!

Dolph Lundgren
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Dolph Lundgren » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:57 am

numen wrote:Hi Dolph, always just happy to post my observations. I hope that you enjoy it when you get around to trying it, and will be curious to see how your impression compares. I got the other Miquer and am curious to see how it is similar and different, but first I've got to close out a few more bottles in the cabinet. I keep saying that, but keep winding up with more bottles opened than I had before!

Same problem on my end. I have one of the 86 Miquers, too, and look forward to opening it. I figured it'd make sense to start with the younger 93 and move back.

I haven't been able to dedicate as much time as I want to to Armagnac because its that frenzied fall-release time of year (you know what I'm talking about). After the season ends I plan on sitting down and really diving into some of my Armagnac.

Return to “Armagnac Reviews and descriptions”