Chateau de Montifaud VSOP

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Chateau de Montifaud VSOP

Postby BSinTX » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:53 pm

So recently I have been on a mission to explore some of the VSOP's available on the shelves and remind myself that letters are seldom indicative of quality. My journey has resulted in my finding some products which are top notch and not at all expensive. Kelt VSOP has caught my attention, as has Frapin. A few months ago, I did a review on Chateau de Montifaud Napoleon; an excellent Cognac but a bit lacking in the satisfaction department (certainly not lacking in the delicious department!!) I have already procured a bottle of the XO for future consumption, but decided to pull the trigger and give the VSOP a go. At $54+ tax per 750ml, it is not too expensive. I have had several pours at this bottle, so choosing the proper Habano to accompany this review was pretty easy, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2.

Aroma: Wonderful array of sweetness; vanilla, caramel, apples, cherries, and apricots. Hard to believe this is a VSOP!!!

Taste: Apricots, figs, pears, vanilla, caramel, and the tartness of green apples,.....dang does this stuff deliver!!! The youthfulness in this expression provides a bit more satisfaction than the Napoleon at the expense of the rich flavors. In my opinion, this is a fair trade off considering the $30 savings per bottle.

Very seldom does a spirit grab my attention from the first pour, but this one certainly did! Easily one of my new favorites!!

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”