Menuet VSOP

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Menuet VSOP

Postby BSinTX » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:18 pm

I have been staring at this bottling on the shelves for quite some time. It is not advertised on TPS website, but it's a bit pricey for a VSOP, $60 +tax. I figured either this would be an awesome score or another bottling to pass by.

The good thing about being a Bourbon drinker is that I can usually tell when something needs water and this particular cognac needs a splash to get things going. Without the water, the aroma is pretty much lemon furniture polish and the taste is a lot of nothing followed by an alcohol evaporation which lets you know all about youth. I don't think any less of any product which needs a bit of water to get it going.

Nose: Add water, wait 10 minutes and the aromas of lemon drops, ginger, honey, and a slight touch of vanilla. Not the usual sweetness one finds in cognacs.

Taste: The water gets rid of the alcohol evaporation and allows the flavors to come about nicely. Very sour, like lemon drops and lots of ginger. Melons, a tad bit of raisins, and a dryness to the aftertaste. Scotch drinkers should find this very appealing as they tend to not go for the overly sweet flavors many cognacs can put forth.

100% Grande Champagne means you are paying for the quality of this product. Personally, I think it could use a bit more time in the barrel. One of the nicer VSOP's I've had.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Menuet VSOP

Postby Pierre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi, I'd be curious to know what caracteristics of this cognac you would attribute to its being made from Grande Champagne. I wouldn't know how to caracterise the different regions in terms of profile. I just know I found some common features between a Petite Champagne and a "mainly Borderies" bottles that I have, but for the rest...

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Menuet VSOP

Postby BSinTX » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:39 am

In my experience, Cognacs from the Borderies are the easiest to discern from the rest. It may be due to so very few producers; Camus and Maison Surrenne are the only two that I can obtain with 100% Borderies blends. These tend to be abundantly floral. As for Cognacs from the Grande Champagne, these tend to show a lot more vanilla which is rather odd as this tends to come from the wood. Then again, this may be attributed to the Cognacs of the GC aging potential; this arena is where a cellar master would be able to chime in with solid answers rather than my guessing. As for blends (most Cognacs fall into this category) they tend to offer the widest variety as the cellar master is free to add in some of this or that to his or her liking. Other than that, I am really not capable of discerning Cognacs from this region or that one (Cru is the correct word in this case.) I've got a pretty well developed sense of smell, but it doesn't earn me money.

This particular Cognac is a bit young for my tastes, so it is showing much less of it's "Cru" than a 25YO Fontpinot.

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”