Kelt VSOP

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Kelt VSOP

Postby BSinTX » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Well, this is the last day of 2012; a fantastic year for me. To kick off the celebration, I have had my nose in a bottle of Kelt VSOP for quite some time and would like to offer everyone my opinion. I am not notorious for drinking VSOP but I am always open to exploring new things. At US$64.00+tax for 750ml, this does not come in at typical VSOP prices. According the the Kelt website, this cognac is sent on an oceanic voyage around the world in order to influence the cask on the eau de vie. I can only imagine that this is quite expensive and the savings is passed along. 40%ABV and nothing about additives on the website.

Nose: Lots of vanilla, Macallan 18YO (I know, but there it is!!), honey, clove, cashews, and orange candy.

Taste: Sweet entry, not nearly as fiery as some VSOPs but not so watered down as to be easily swallowed. Orange candy (the sugar coated orange slices), banana, brown sugar, licorice, not overly complex but very well rounded. No sharp tastes, the finish is brown sugar and licorice and seems to last a minute or so. The sweetness is not overdone but it is up front.

Overall, this is one of my favorite VSOP's when judging by the aroma and the taste. I don't know for sure if the trip around the world helps the aging process along, but it certainly allows more interaction with the barrel. Unfortunately, this is one of the more expensive VSOP's on the shelf and will cost you at least an extra $20 for this bottling.

Happy New Year!

wouter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kelt VSOP

Postby wouter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Happy new year to you too BSinKY!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this Kelt VSOP. Hope to review this one in 2013...

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks for the review, BSinKY! Happy New Years, too!

Did you see the Jefferson's Ocean bourbon that auctioned off at K&L for about $1k?

How does this compare, do you think, in terms of value, richness, flavor, seeming presence or absence of additives to various VSOPs and XOs? It's right between some of those price points, though still probably closer to the VSOP side of things.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 am

I did not see the auction but $1,000 for a bottle of anything is way out of my league.

I started off with a 50ml sample of this and after one tasting figured I'd shell out $36 for a 375ml bottle just to see what was happening as the 750ml comes in at $64 which is not exactly a bargain for VSOP quality. Overall, I'd say that $64 is a good price for what this is (darned good cognac). I could not detect any additives on the nose or palate (edit: meaning that if they used them, they didn't use enough to make it obvious); it's sweetness is more from the cask but it's young enough to know it's not an XO. Although this is my new favorite VSOP, the problem I have is that a $64 bottle of Bourbon is going to blow this stuff out of the water. I don't compare Cognac to Bourbon as they each have their own place, but I cannot ignore value per dollar spent and this is where VSOP anything just can't compare and is the biggest reason why I tend to not drink them. At 40%ABV, it doesn't taste too watery but it certainly isn't going to wow anyone.

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”