Delamain Tres Venerable

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Delamain Tres Venerable

Postby BSinTX » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:41 pm

I purchased this bottle a few years ago at TPS at a highly discounted price. I put it away knowing there would come a time in the future when I would like to open it in celebration of whatever; my recent vacation was a good a reason as any to open the bottle and get to sipping.

I chose a Fuente Anejo 77 "Shark" to go with it. Excellent choice!!

Nose: Very subtle; even with the nosing glass and a well functioning sinus, the aromas are somewhat hidden. Candied oranges and slight maple syrup are all I can detect.

Taste: Certainly a bit more lively than the nose. It's very well balanced; the entire tongue is picking up flavors and none are overpowering. Dried fruits, tannins, vanilla, and some cocoa. Nothing really jumps out at you.

If you are going to pair this Cognac with a cigar, it needs to be a light/mild smoke. RyJ was another good choice.

Conclusion: It anyone wants to know why I am the first to label many Cognacs as "overpriced, watered down, weak sauce", this bottling fits the bill. From a price standpoint, this Cognac is a total dud. Since I purchased it heavily discounted, I didn't get burned too badly. The manufacturer goes on about the great age of the product but not a single peep as to the use (or more importantly, the lack of use) of additives. At 40% ABV and a name such as "Tres Venerable", one may be inclined to think that the low alcohol is due to natural evaporation processes, but even an amateur like me isn't fooled once it hits the tastebuds. A good Cognac leaves one satisfied; I can drink this stuff all day. It's not a bad product, the tastes are very nice (when you can detect them), nobody is going to confuse this with Hennessey VS. I'd offer this to someone who has never tried Cognac or to someone who smokes mild cigars. I grade this a C-.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Delamain Tres Venerable

Postby numen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the review. I have had only a few Delamain, and was curious about this bottling. I wasn't sure whether more fruit developed, or if it gained a greater focus on the palate and nose. Apparently not!

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:53 pm

It's sweet and fruity, it's just VERY subtle. I think it only fair to point out that this stuff is probably a lot older than anything I usually drink and that this age "may" have something to do with it being .....well, it's quite bland. There just isn't anything interesting going on when you smell or sip it. Maybe this is the way really old stuff tastes and I am an ignorant of what old brandy tastes like. This Cognac has no "effect". It doesn't give me good vibes, doesn't put a smile on my face, or any of those other things we all know a good Cognac is capable of producing.

sailor22
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sailor22 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Great review and thanks for the photos.

sjp1966
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sjp1966 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I tend to like Delamain although not had this one. I email Delamain recently after seeing another post about additives (which I cannot find). this is what they say.

Thank you for your kind message. You are right, most companies use caramel to darken the Cognacs, giving the impression it is older, specially for the VS and VSOP categories. It is very easy to have a young Cognac very dark, but much more difficult to have an old one which remains pale, and this is what we do at Delamain. We shall also use some caramel, from time to time, but is is not to have a darker Cognacs, it is just to ensure consistency in colour from one blend to another, as the final customer would not understand to have two bottles with the same label, with a Cognac which does not look alike...

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Wow, that is awesome that you obtained that information from the manufacturer.

I decanted 50ml of this bottle and the rest is gone. As I went through the bottle, I gained a bit of appreciation for older Cognac and it's nuances. In the end, I am glad I know that there is an age where Cognac is no longer at it's peak and the flavors and aromas are not as bright. I guess the good news on this is that I will most likely not try to obtain "Extra" or the really high dollar bottlings simply because they are old.

sjp1966
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sjp1966 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:57 pm

i figured I had nothing to lose by asking, although he only mentioned caramel, I guess if they are willing to add that then they add other things too.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 pm

BSinKY, yeah, older isn't always better. Sometimes it just loses too much to the wood. And, in any case, they tend to have a different flavor profile - some folks enjoy it, others less so. :)

SJP, thanks for following up and sharing the email!

Mediasapiens
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Mediasapiens » Tue May 07, 2013 1:02 am

I really like the dryness of Tres Venerable it is a wonderful Cognac with true old rancino taste. I 'd say that most people drink young, sugary drinks, sugary sodas sugary cognacs and accustomed to their simple flavours of fruit, sugar and more fruit. Older Cognacs just like Vintage Champagne or Cuban cigars are for acquired taste. It just takes a lot of money and curiosity to acquire them.

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”