Daniel Bouju Extra

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
sailor22
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Daniel Bouju Extra

Postby sailor22 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:51 am

Daniel Bouju Extra 40%

On the Nose, when this is first poured I get a lovely assertive juicy grape note. Give it some air time and some warmth from the hand and it gently morphs into a fruit basket on a bed of hay featuring plum, cantaloupe and fresh mountain grass. There is some wood and a whiff of tobacco that arrives late along with some body that supports the sweetness of the fruit. Though not hugely complex it's a delight the way it reveals itself in layers.

The taste doesn't deliver all the juiciness and complexity the nose promises and has more wood dryness than expected. It's not unpleasant but it is surprising. There is a helping of bitter dark fruit, something like plum skin and not a whole lot else. It's an enjoyable flavor but also not as complex as the nose would lead you to expect.

The finish slowly reveals a little more of the red plum playing hide and seek with the woody dryness. Not particularly long or deep, it leaves a pleasant dryness that has the notable characteristic of inviting another sip before very long.

The dry glass has a wonderful tobacco and plum aroma that is worth spending some time contemplating.

This one is easy and enjoyable, not overly complex or fruity and dangerously drinkable at this low proof. There is virtually no alcohol on the palate and the temptation is to drink it like a heavy wine. It could be a perfect finish to something like a grilled steak dinner but as a stand alone sipper I do wish the flavors were more intense.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Daniel Bouju Extra

Postby numen » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:12 am

Awesome review! I think that you're on about the palate not really delivering what the nose promises, and that may be one of the criticisms of Bouju's 40% - as powerful as the aromas are, the palate isn't as strong. That and it's not always the most complicated, but it is very rich.

You also hit that transition from that slightly sweet fruit to the dry wood, a rather bracing change. I think that it's evident in most of Bouju, and most noticeable in the Extra (maybe even moreso than the Tres Vieux - this one was the driest for me). I'm a little surprised that the finish wasn't longer, but I'm glad that you seemed to enjoy it all the same!

sailor22
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sailor22 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:48 am

So the dry wood infused with fruit is what is called rancio? I have never found a good description of that term until now. Thanks.

The discrepancy between the nose and the palate has been evident in every 40% Cognac I have tried to date. Probably less so in the two Bouju's actually.

To me it always seems a little grandiose describing some wood tannin tingle that lingers on the tung a finish. I want a "finish" to be a clear interplay of flavors that moves beyond the mid palate and tung into the very back of the mouth and almost makes you want to swallow again.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:24 am

Rancio is an awkward term; there's definitely some sort of bitter element to it, but there are many different perspectives on what it is (I've heard some call it like cardboard/wet dog, others 'mushrooms,' and others 'cheese').

I understand what you mean about finish. I rely a lot on retro-olfaction to bring back a lot of the flavors from the palate, which tends to emphasize those more in the finish, and then generally take the strength of discernible flavor as the finish. A less sophisticated approach :)

wouter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wouter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:14 pm

I just reviewed the DB Extra on Cognac Fans.

Personally I am not very enthusiastic about the Extra, it offers a lot of bitterness and is not as complex as I would suspect of a 35 year old Cognac.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Nice review! I've had the most bottle variation from this expression. My first bottle of it was superb, and a bit richer than the Empereur, but the next two bottles I had were a bit limpid, thin, and linear. I'm wondering whether my first bottle was just the exception, or the other two bottles were just sub-standard. Your review, along with Sailor22's and Sku's, makes me think that it's the latter; the Extra is not the strongest in the Bouju line.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:06 am

Thanks for your input on the DB Extra. The picture you showed at the end with all of the bottles lined up shows an interesting transition in color from one bottling to the next. I've only had one bottle of the XO (Extra was never available) and it was much better than the Napoleon but you make an interesting case for something being in the wood too long.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:43 pm

I tried another bottle of the Extra recently and I think that the first bottle that I had must have been an outlier. It loses fruit, gains wood, and misses out on greater richness. I'm not sure what happens at this point. I still like the slightly older (and 40%) Tres Vieux, but I think that I'm done with the Extra. The Brut de Fut stuff is exceptional still, but I'm less keen on the standard range (XO and maybe TV as exceptions).

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”