Maison Surrenne Tonneau no 1

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Maison Surrenne Tonneau no 1

Postby numen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:50 pm

The last of my tasting notes for my open bottles of the Maison Surrenne collector's series, the Tonneau no. 1. It's got an interesting story as well, though I'll skip it here. It's lots of old Petite Champagne, any way you slice it. Also, I'm a sucker for bottles like this:

Maison Surrenne Tonneau no 1.jpg
Maison Surrenne Tonneau no 1.jpg (116.44 KiB) Viewed 2903 times

Nose: Chocolate, dry tea leaves, vanilla (with air), creating a marshmallow like quality without betraying an overly sweet profile. Bunches of over-ripe yellow grapes, barely stale nuts, dark chocolate covered prune pieces. Tips of flower petals and some molasses (for the sweet and spice; the bitterness comes more from the dry tea leaves)

Palate: Thick and velvety silk, soft and mellow on entry, with a chocolate-malty marshmallow. It's just a moment because the flavors really explode with dates, figs, honey-syrup (it's more yellow than brown, if you take my meaning), and vanilla. Definitely on dates.

Finish: Awesome. A rather boozy chocolate malt with fig-date shavings that have marinaded into the blend. Touch of grape-yellow raisin, pruneau, and rancio. (subtle). A few minutes later, I get something akin to cherries and a drop of sherry that's been placed in the back of an overly parched mouth. A+

Easily one of my favorite cognacs. Even though I remember that I'm always surprised how much I like it when I have it, I remain surprised how much I like it. I got two bottles of it for about $250/bottle, and I frequently debate getting a third (if possible). It's an absolute bargain. As much as I talk about Tesseron Lot 53 being a bargain for the quality, this is really incredible, especially when you consider the quality and age. I cannot recommend this highly enough. It has an unassuming quality; you can tell that there is incredible depth in the nose, but it just hypnotizes you and draws you in. Spectacular stuff.

sailor22
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Maison Surrenne Tonneau no 1

Postby sailor22 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:11 am

You are becoming a very expensive acquaintance. :D

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 am

:mrgreen:

It's a tough life sometimes! If it weren't so good, I wouldn't recommend it, but it is. The vast majority of the contents are over 100 years old (blended in a solera-like fashion), so there's that going for it, too. So much good cognac 8-)

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Just gave myself another kick in the arse for never jumping on the bottle at TPS when they had it in stock. I appreciate you giving us the tasting notes.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 pm

It's my pleasure 8-)

I do feel a bit guilty; I got my open bottle from TPS! I liked it so much that I went back and got one from Caddell Williams. It's definitely worth trying, at the very least (though KY's shipping laws are terrible). I really don't know how it's so inexpensive. I think that Maison Surrenne has a lot of great stuff, but, with few exceptions, they didn't do a great job keeping track of the contents of various blends. For instance, Tesseron could tell you exactly what's in each blend. With MS, other than the 1946 Unblended, they aren't really sure about the 1875, Cask 356, or Tonneau no 1. If they could definitely state that everything in Tonneau is really old (with some certainty) and all that, I don't understand how it wouldn't cost far, far more.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 pm

I wonder that as well. Maybe it has something to do with the blend itself. As it seems to be more of a "bastard brew" rather than a deliberate selection, I wonder if the guys working the cellar would say that other than being old, it isn't well balanced, yada, yada, yada. From what I understand, cellar masters (though certainly not all of them) are perfectionists and would prefer to create by blending rather than mixing in a whole bunch of old stuff and hoping for the best.

When you purchase T no 1, are you buying a certain batch or did they empty the entire tonneau, never to be bottled again?

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:07 am

According to the story, this was a blend of love, topped off in a solara like fashion with young petite champagne, a long, long time ago. I'm really not too sure of the story with it. The bottle that I got from TPS was bottled in 2002, and was one of 196 bottles [the one in the photo]. The other bottle is a more standard looking bottle, and was bottled in 2008, and one of 1,005 bottles.
From the Surrenne website:

Inconceivably rich. In 1922, Surrenne filled an oak tonneau with old petite champagne cognacs. Concerned about evaporation because the tonneau gets direct sun from the half-moon casement over the entry door, Surrenne’s successive cellar-masters topped the tonneau every year for 79 years, always with old petite champagne of very high quality. Never used, this rare solera-like blend contains a high proportion of cognac aged more than 100 years. From the Madame facility in Jarnac. Bottled unfiltered from tonneau no. 1 on August 19, 2001. We’re bringing in 196 bottles only, at $270.00

Frankly, I'm not really sure what to make of the difference on the label of my second bottle and the description provided above.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:16 am

I guess that means we will have to wait until 2014 for the next bottlings. 41.9% ABV.....this did not go unnoticed!!

wouter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wouter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 pm

numen wrote:Inconceivably rich. In 1922, Surrenne filled an oak tonneau with old petite champagne cognacs. Concerned about evaporation because the tonneau gets direct sun from the half-moon casement over the entry door, Surrenne’s successive cellar-masters topped the tonneau every year for 79 years, always with old petite champagne of very high quality. Never used, this rare solera-like blend contains a high proportion of cognac aged more than 100 years. From the Madame facility in Jarnac. Bottled unfiltered from tonneau no. 1 on August 19, 2001. We’re bringing in 196 bottles only, at $270.00

Beautiful story! $270 seems like a great deal! Great tasting notes!

Fuzhou
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Fuzhou » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

:( felt ripped off. Bought 3 bottles. All from current bottling. Guess when they bottled 1005 back in 2008, they must have bled alot of the old juices. Now it's so diluted, no trace of rancio, no exhibition of complexity. It's really not worth it anymore. You might as well buy a twenty year old Torres and save the $200 for a bottle of Navarre.

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”