Daniel Bouju Réserve Familiale

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
JKT
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Re: Daniel Bouju Réserve Familiale

Postby JKT » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:13 am

My favorite is the paul-Marie devant le Porte. Check Nicolas palazzi's website. He has brought in some great cognacs at different price points.

reallydog
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby reallydog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:30 am

Awesome. Thanks

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:18 pm

reallydog wrote:All about the cask strength and aged spirits. Any recommendations? Specific brands/vintages? I order from overseas if necessary.

Well, in that case your options with cognac are much more limited. The Bouju stuff is very oaky and sometimes somewhat bitter depending on your taste, it's a very particular cognac, maybe it is better to start with a little less pricey bottle from the brand ? The Très Vieux Brut de Fut would be a good place to start.

Now this Réserve Familiale is something like a 70-80 years old blend I believe (not exactly sure, but it is for sure older than 60 years old), at this age you often have crystal bottles that make prices explode. If you're really into very old cognac of this sort you might want to consider the Tesseron Extreme, I heard very good things about it and given that the bottle is quite big (something like 1.75 liter maybe ?), the price per liter is not that high for very old stuff...
Now if you're interested in "younger" stuff at cask strength, somewhere around 50 to 40 years old material, you can have tremendous cognac for a fraction of the price of a Louis XIII. Apart from the Bouju TVBdF I cited above (that I find a tad too bitter), you have the Héritage from Francois Peyrot, a 45 years old blend at 45% that is a steal for the quality of the stuff, or some old vintages from Vallein-Tercinier. All of these have reviews on the forum and can be ordered from the Finestwine website that ships worldwide (but the shipping can be high to places like the USA I think).
Now in the harder to procure stuff I always recommend Michel Forgeron cognac, their Hors d'Age is a 50% cask strength 40 year old blend and their Heritage is a 50 yo blend also at 50%, impressive stuff, plus they sell vintage cognacs at cask strength, as old as 1975. Sadly they won't ship to the USA right now.

reallydog
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby reallydog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Really appreciate the advice. I ordered a few bouju bottles to see if it suits my style. Finestwines was out of Vallein-Tercinier, so I will wait to see if they get more. I will also check out your other recommendations. Thanks

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”