Which Are Your Favorites - Cognac & Aragnac

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
johnnyflake
New distillate
New distillate

Which Are Your Favorites - Cognac & Aragnac

Postby johnnyflake » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:45 pm

Which are your top 3 favorite VSOP/XO Cognac's and top 3 VSOP/XO Armagnac's, under $100?

Any reviews/comments on your selections will be appreciated!
Of all the tings I have lost during my lifetime, I miss my mind the most!!!

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Which Are Your Favorites - Cognac & Aragnac

Postby BSinTX » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:27 am

VSOP: Monnet, Chateau de Montifaud, Frapin

XO under $100: Chateau Fontpineau, Bouju XO, Maison Surrenne GC ($102 last time I bought one.)

Armagnac, I don't drink VSOP Armagnac (life it too short.)

Castarede 20YO, Baron de Lustrac 1986, Chateau de Busca XO No.1

It's getting quite difficult to find the lesser known brands on the shelves here in the US. Also, there seems to have been quite a significant price increase on most French brandies lately.

johnnyflake
New distillate
New distillate

Postby johnnyflake » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Hey Mr. BSinTx,

Thank you for your informative response.

I agree that the lesser known brands are becoming very difficult to find in the USA. It's even far more difficult for me, here in Nevada. Cognac & Armagnac are in very short supply. The liquor stores don't inventory very much and to add to the problem, distilled spirits cannot be shipped into Nevada.

I have to see if I can find any that you have suggested.
Of all the tings I have lost during my lifetime, I miss my mind the most!!!

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:14 pm

I would add Delord 25 years old for armagnac, I think you can get it in the States, it's pretty decent.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:11 pm

I had the same issue when I lived in Kentucky. Because it is the home of the Bourbon industry, it was illegal to have a store ship bottles to me. Now that I live in Texas, I will have to check out the law. The good part about living in KY was we had a store called "The Party Source" (who is now no longer legally permitted to ship liquor). They had a pretty good variety of Cognac and Armagnac and would always get some new stuff in. Also, I used to travel the US a lot and frequently visited the larger liquor stores in search of the hard to find products. I know Nevada is a large state, but you may have some luck with some of the stores in Vegas. Huge money town sometimes means there will be boutique liquor stores (although it typically comes with a higher price tag.)

If I ever make it to France, I am going to ship cases of booze to myself.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:18 pm

My favorite cognacs under $100

- Daniel Bouju Royal Brut de Fut -- his stuff isn't for everybody, and there can be large differences in batch quality, too.
- Maison Surrenne Ancienne Distillerie. This really isn't valid anymore because they raised the price by almost $100. What used to be $48 is now $135. There's a claim that it's because of the demand from Asia, but that still seems excessive. They do have a VSOP called 'Cognac,' but I haven't had it and can't vouch for it.
- I'm also going to mention the 7 year old Folle Blanche by Chateau de Beaulon
- The Maison Surrenne Borderies is also $100

In general, though, I've been very impressed by all of Maison Surrenne's cognacs, so it's a fairly safe bet. Bouju is also extremely difficult to get in the US. Caddell Williams sells Maison Surrenne cognac.

- Just over $100 is the 1985 Baraillon armagnac from K&L. It's delicious
I haven't had as much experience with great armagnac in that price range (oddly). I'd trust Pierre. He's got a lot of experience and insight to all these things. If he says Delord 25, then Delord 25!

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:48 pm

WOW, that is a SIGNIFICANT price increase on the Maison Surenne products. I was getting the Ancienne for $45 per bottle, the Borderies for $70, and the ever awesome GC for $102.

How could I forget the Chateau de Beaulon line???? $66 for the 12 year old and $50 for the 7 year old....from a price standpoint, these may be the best for the money.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:10 pm

Confirming on the Chateau de Beaulon, especially the 12yo. I posted some review about both the 12 and 7yo recently in the cognac section if you want some more info.

BSinTX wrote:If I ever make it to France, I am going to ship cases of booze to myself.

Well good luck with that ;) I tried to ship 2 beautiful bottles of armagnac to the USA, but it's forbidden to ship alcohol there without a special license (you know, the authorities never kid too much about products with a high tax percentage, and given the US public debt nowadays, you can be sure it's not gonna change so soon!). You can try but if they spot it, it never makes it home (and some customs' employees can get some pretty good drams after work for a few months...). Maybe wait until they eventually sign the free trade agreement with Europe :P

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:37 am

You underestimate the laziness of Amerikan government employees!! I would most likely send out about six to eight packages in hopes that a majority made it to me...I play this same game with Cuban cigars. Once in a while, the blind squirrel finds a nut but otherwise, I've got a pretty decent selection of Habanos.

Also, I have figured out a few ways to divert customs attention away from anything I may want to bring into the US. They ignore the obvious.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Hmmmmm, I may ask for your expertise in this area at some point :P

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”