Michel Forgeron Vieux Cognac, 45%

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Michel Forgeron Vieux Cognac, 45%

Postby numen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:06 pm

gift sample from a friend [in a really beautiful gift bottle]

Nose: Crystallized, almost barley like sweetness at first. Slowly the profile changes to more spice and gentle, lightly fermented fruits. Apricot, peach, dates, and a small hint of tropical fruit. Marzipan sweetness and pasty nuttiness. Light, well-crafted rancio. Vanilla cake frosting and waxy flower petal (dried). Caramel/toffee. Fruity jamminess comes out with time. Apple, pear, and candied peaches. Very nice.

Palate: A rather different turn on the palate. It's maybe even better. Honeyed (very gently) as a nice base, with a quick flash of a floral quality. Less fruit and lots of incredibly graceful rancio. You can't miss. Extremely well integrated oak, fabulous in its own right, and then it also carries some of the secondary flavors. Rancio at its finest. Light fruit nibs, bitter orange zest, a touch more of that malted barley. The same fruits and bitter wax.

Finish: More of the same. The balance here is really great, along with the major dose of rancio, without being overmuch or too heavy. Not sweet and candied. Just delicious. My only gripe is that the fruit isn't really present anymore. I debated this one a bit, but it's definitely in the A- range if only because you're going to be hard-pressed to find a graceful rancio like this.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Michel Forgeron Vieux Cognac, 45%

Postby BSinTX » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:29 am

I too received a gift of this in the mail (thank you so very much!!) and was more than happy to make it a special occasion to enjoy it. At 45% ABV and labeled as Tres Vieux, I figured that this sauce would hold it's own with any Habano. I selected my #1, absolutely favorite smoke; La Gloria Cubana #2 from 1992 gifted to me by my friend Mike.

"I get high with a little help from my friends!"

Nose: I let this breathe for about 15 minutes as I don't like to rush these things. Vanilla, honeydew melon, honey, toast, and shortbread cookies. What is amazing is when every sniff brings out new aromas, even if you only catch them once. This is the mark of a good Cognac!

Taste: No water added as it didn't need it. Well balanced as it works from front to back on the tongue I am getting honey, oak, vanilla, peaches, a slight spice I cannot pinpoint (almost like rye), a little bit of dried fruits, and portobello mushrooms (rancio???). As for rancio, I don't know if it is so much a flavor as it is a function of flavors working in harmony but man does this Cognac match perfectly with this cigar!! The smoke has lots of leather, cocoa and wood and the Cognac does a fantastic job of accenting these. A younger Cognac with lots of fruit would not have gone well with this smoke at all. The age and the ABV compliment each other in a way that makes it perfectly clear the person who made this is truly a master! Viva la Forgeron!!

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Good friends really are the best, aren't they? :mrgreen:

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:30 pm

They certainly are!!

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am

Well, I certainly did not pick up as many flavours as you did on this one (I did not taste it in the comfort of my home yet though :mrgreen: ) but I definitely agree with that seducive wood and rancio presence, as well as a cookie-cake feeling from time to time.
Although this is not very obvious on the bottle, this is their XO cognac (you can see it written in very small font at the bottom). Happy that you liked it anyway, this is probably my best discovery this summer !

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:52 am

It certainly was a great find! Thank you again, dear friend! :mrgreen:

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”