Maxime Trijol XO 40%

Here you can talk about the experiences with the different brands and/or types of Cognac.
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Maxime Trijol XO 40%

Postby numen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:02 pm

from a purchased sample

Nose: More robust and obvious at first than the VSOP, so we are on terra firma. A bit denser, too. Orange liqueur. Peach, vanilla, ginger, and honeydew. There's some bubblegum notes, which make me think of sugar and caramel. Cinnamon, brown baking spice, and watered down fruit stew and fruit salad, if you take my meaning. Waxy honeysuckle for good measure.

Palate: You hardly even notice the entry. Is this a good thing? Flavors miraculously appear out of nowhere at the midpalate! Caramel, more wood, some of the same vague fruits, and then wood carries a bit of spice and cigar. Caramel, orange, honey, orange blossom. Ginger and pepper. The wood is not too harsh, but it does come out of synch just a bit with the fruit and rest of the profile.

Finish: More of the same. I just can't quite follow this. Some of the bitter orange zest/rind is there, with wax, wood, caramel, vanilla, and spice. It just doesn't finish well in a decent transition even if it's stronger than the VSOP. C-

Return to “Cognac Reviews and descriptions”