Springbank 12 Calvados Finish 52.7%

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Springbank 12 Calvados Finish 52.7%

Postby numen » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:20 pm

from a purchased sample

Nose: Do you like Calvados? I sure do. And that's a good thing. This strikes me as being similar to a 10-15 year old Calvados that's rather smokier than usual, and a healthy sprinkle of sea salt. Waxy and some flavorless zest. Clean peat hiding behind the smoke.

Palate: There's the (clean) peat! Some malty goodness, salt, honey, and wood. It's definitely on Calvados. Pepper, smoke, wax, and maybe even some ginger grounds.

Finish: Frankly, I'm not sure whether I'd be inclined to say that this is more of a whisky-finished in Calvados or Calvados in a whisky barrel. I kid; it's the former, but it's close on the nose and at turns on the palate -- the maltiness gives the final answer on the palate. I think that Springbank is best with a decent fruit influence, and this has a good one, especially if you like a youthful apple brandy. B+ 88

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Springbank 12 Calvados Finish 52.7%

Postby BSinTX » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Now, I would definitely be interested in trying a whisky finished in a calvados barrel! I am a fan of craftsmen working outside the box (or the barrel in this case) and using a barrel nobody would have thought to use.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Springbank 12 Calvados Finish 52.7%

Postby numen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Yeah, I liked this a lot. I am not sure what it costs; Springbanks are usually a bit pricey, but it's a decent effort and a good bottle

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”