Noah's Mill Kentucky Bourbon

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Noah's Mill Kentucky Bourbon

Postby BSinTX » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:47 am

I am almost 2/3 the way through this bottle (it has taken quite a few pours to get me here) and I have been wanting to share this with everyone as it has quite an interesting story. 57.15% ABV; this is the reason it lasts me so long. I must confess I add two or three ice cubes to this when I pour it (much to the chagrin of purists.) This Bourbon has a bit of mystery about it and the online spirit enthusiasts seem to come up with some odd reasons to not buy it. How this product comes about is like this: A bottling company (who does not perform any distilling) purchases barrels of Bourbon from several if not all of the distilleries in Kentucky. They then blend and bottle under their own name. I support this sort of business because not everyone can afford to build entire distilleries; the costs is enormous and the profits are way down the road. Regular people getting together and investing their life savings into a company to provide me with AWESOME tasting and AWESOME smelling bourbon.

Nose: Out of the bottle, I can hardly pick up anything. The alcohol is hiding most of the goods. Lots of wood, a very subtle sweetness of cherries, cola and some pear.
With water (I add ice and allow it to melt; this is akin to adding water slowly) this stuff really begins to shine. Vanilla, caramel, maple syrup and cherries are the first aromas. The spice will come on soon enough (not a heavily ryed Bourbon) with licorice and a bit of clove.

Taste: Neat, this is a spicy meatball, with lots of the flavors being held back by the high alcohol. I can tolerate it for a few sips but it just doesn't reveal too many flavors at bottle strength. First hit is the wood, some vanilla, white pepper on the long finish. Three ice cubes later and the sweetness really comes through. Butterscotch, pears, vanilla, a nice oak touch, and the finish is still pretty darned long with that nice black licorice bite. Awesome effect; makes me glad I chose it when I sip it. This is important for me as to whether or not I'd purchase a second bottle.

$44.95 +tax for 750ml makes this an excellent value. There is a sticker on the side of the bottle stating this won Double Gold at the 2011 San Francisco Spirits Competition and I can definitely tell why! On a side note, the same company which produces this also produces Willet, Rowan's Creek, Johnny Drum and a few others. I am very fortunate to have people who want to invest time and money into getting good bourbons (not just the popular blends) onto the shelves. This is a fantastic product!!

wouter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Noah's Mill Kentucky Bourbon

Postby wouter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:51 am

That's a pretty bottle! Good to hear it tastes as goods as it looks ;-)

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:41 am

That looks really great, and your notes make me pretty thirsty. Have you noticed much batch variation in Noah's Mill (it's an independent bottling label, right?)? It looks like most folks really like this bottle (with and without water) - universal praise, even from non-bourbon drinkers! It's amazing how good a bourbon product can be on its own for ~$40

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:50 pm

This is my first bottle of NM, so I can't comment on consistency. The story is this used to be a 15 year or older bottling, but the older bourbons are getting much harder to source (makes sense.) This is one of those bottles that won me over on the first pour. The fact that it costs less than $50 per bottle is just plain awesome (I saw a bottle of MItcher's 21YO Bourbon for $460 yesterday and I'm still trying to hold in my laughter.) NM has quickly made it's way to the top of the "to get" list, though a bottle of Chateau de Busca Armagnac won the fight yesterday.
Last edited by BSinTX on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:07 pm

What?! $460 for 21 year old Willett? And I thought that the new Michter's 20 for $450 was borderline absurd.
For that price, I could just get a bottle of 80+ year old superb Cognac. I see this new direction for bourbon pricing and I don't like it.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:13 pm

My mistake, I went back and edited my post so as to not put out incorrect information. You are correct, it was Mitchers and $460 for a bottle of Bourbon is.....not for me. If anyone is willing to pay that much money for Bourbon, I have a RARE bottle of Elmer T. Lee I'll sell for $100. It's "rare" in that it's the only bottle of Elmer T. Lee I have...truly one of a kind!!!! Once it's gone, I will have no more Elmer T. Lee!!

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:43 pm

I just bought a sample of this and took some notes-

Nose: Dark and dry rye wood. Cocoa and peanut brittle - there's definitely a peanut quality lurking in the second row. Tobacco. Spearmint. Very minty. Menthol. Butterscotch and toffee and more rye spice. (with water) water brings out some varnishy though otherwise lighter notes. Honey, toffee, cocoa powder, dry sawdust. More balanced here.

Palate: Very approachable neat. Butterscotch, bitter wood (standing over the other dark flavors). Honey, rye, anise. (with water) Ahh, much better. Same as the nose, but there's that heavy wood and bitterness leading the way.

Finish: More on the bitter and wood than I'd like. This has some really good qualities, and great texture, but the bitterness is too much for me, even neat. C+/B-

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm sipping on a sample of this and I can tell right away that I like it ! This has a syrupy quality to it that is present but never excessive, even neat it is highly drinkable for me... The rye spice comes forward on some sips but not all, and there's a discrete banana that comes and goes. I'm a fan, without a doubt ! This is made to be drunk just a few sips at a time imo, I wouldn't take two pours but it's really satisfying ! Now I have to wait for the water to blend a bit and I'll check whether it shines that much with water added :D

edit: there's also some fun peanut presence, and the wood is really top notch there...

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”