Woodford Reserve Distillery

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Woodford Reserve Distillery

Postby BSinTX » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 am

Woke up to a beautiful Saturday morning in Kentucky. I decided that instead of going to the liquor store to buy a bottle of sauce, that I would instead ride the bike to the Woodford Reserve distillery in Versailles, KY. Couldn't have asked for better weather, the tour was informative, the aromas were INCREDIBLE!!!! I purchased a 750ml of the Double Oaked and I am beyond impressed at how awesome it tastes; I definitely found my new "go to" for a while. Here are a few pictures. It's a working distillery, but they do not work on weekends; the mash doesn't need any time off.

This is the welcome center:

This is the mash fermenting; they have 4 cypress tubs and they were all going. The smell was awesome!!

This is two of the three stills; I couldn't stand far enough back to get all three of them in the picture.

These are the stages of the charring of the barrel.

This is the entire production for Friday, August 17, 2012

Aging inside the warehouse:

A most incredibly delicious treat!!!

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Woodford Reserve Distillery

Postby numen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 pm

BSinKY,

This was awesome! I've never been to any of the bourbon distilleries, so this was really cool to see and hear about it. The pictures were also pretty epic. What is the double-oaked like?

sailor22
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby sailor22 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:37 am

the aromas were INCREDIBLE!!!!

Don't you just love the smell inside a rick house? Yum.

You have got me motivated to try the Double Oaked. Does it have any of that faint copper penny taste that shows up in the regular Woodford?

If you ever go to KBD in Bardstown ask them to show you the barrel old dumping room. It's not part of the regular tour. For something like 40 years they dumped barrels in there and the smell has gotten into the paneling and the floor - it is the most marvelous mysterious perfume of old oak and the sweet notes from Bourbon.

wouter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wouter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Wow very nice report! :D

Would love to visit a Bourbon maker once!

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Apologies for the long delay, I just got back from a relaxing and long overdue vacation.

The smell of the mash and of the rickhouse were just awesome. No wonder everyone was smiling!!

The double oaked is a really nice "addition" to what is pretty darned good bourbon. What they do is they obtain a brand new toasted and very slightly charred barrel and they put the 9 year old bourbon; blended but not diluted back into this barrel for (I cannot remember them actually saying how long.) I seem to remember something about 9 months. It gives the bourbon more wood (well, duh!) which is interesting as nobody else has ever done this; usually it's all done by changing the grain bill. The aromas are more intense and the flavor is much sweeter.

Drinking it neat, the aroma is heavy butterscotch, vanilla, and toffee (hard to believe this is grain alcohol...) It's 90.4 proof, but the burn feels like an 80. It's got the familiar Woodford taste but more intense (no copper penny taste that I can detect); caramel, pecans, ginger....lots of ginger on the finish.

I find that adding a small chunk of ice gives it a more cola/honey aroma and allows you to taste more sweet things (figs, cola, melon) though the finish becomes noticeably shorter lived; small price to pay I guess.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 am

Welcome back! I trust that the vacation was great!

I was worried that we'd lost you :oops:

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”