Aberlour Darkness 20yo oloroso finish (53.4%)

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Aberlour Darkness 20yo oloroso finish (53.4%)

Postby Pierre » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:59 pm

This is a Master of Malt exclusive bottling, some 20yo Aberlour distillate that spent a few months in a small Oloroso sherry cask, supposedly giving it a dark colour and a bold sherry taste. This should be cask strength.

Nose: clear pear eau-de-vie, cherry eau-de-vie, grappa, candied cherries... Not my favourite sherry nose, but it has some prestance.
Palate: spicy and not kidding (this is cask strength all right), although not unpleasant, quite hot with orange and tobacco.
Finish: spicy and tingling on top of the throat, chocolate with berries, black berries, dark dried fruits, pear (pear is all over the place with this stuff).

With water the nose gets sweeter (which is nice) and the palate has a lot more acidulated candied red berries (not bad either, this one takes water well).
As far as quality/price ratio goes, I prefer the Glendronach 21yo or cask strength or the 17yo cask strength Glenlivet which is my reference for sherries whisky at the moment.

This is my last sherried whisky sample, end of my first tour in the whisky world... I found some nice stuff but nothing that'll make turn away from my beloved brandies and bourbons. Still not getting all the fuss around peated whiskies although these finish and maturation in other spirits/wines barrels surely does make it an interesting beverage with lots of variety. I just think you can find a sufficient variety in armagnac or cognac as well...
Your opinion...? ;)

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Aberlour Darkness 20yo oloroso finish (53.4%)

Postby BSinTX » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm just not all that fond of Scotch and the peated stuff is downright disgusting. When I was young, my mother always kept a bottle of Campo-Phenique in the medicine cabinet for cold sores. It has a VERY distinct smell and taste (both are quite nasty). The first time I smelled peated Scotch (Laphroiag 10YO), I instantly recognized that foul aroma from the medicine cabinet. Being the brave soul that I am, I went against my better judgement and took a few sips. I gave the rest of the bottle away to a buddy of mine. Actually it was he that was doing me the favor but don't tell him.

There are a few Scotches that are alright. I have tried several of the Glenmorangie line as they finish them in different casks. For the most part, I put Scotch in the same category as haggis and golf.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Aberlour Darkness 20yo oloroso finish (53.4%)

Postby Pierre » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:48 pm

People often describe scotch aromas as "medicinal", I think you just got it right ;) Many whisky afficionados are also annoyingly convinced of the superiority of scotch over all other spirits, which is quite boring really... Anyway when it's been matured in first fill barrels of other stuff like sherry or sauternes, they're sometimes worth a dram or two ! I'd like to have a go at some Glenmorangie products too, I think they have a Sauternes finish offering ?

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”