Four Roses Single Barrel, OBSO

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Four Roses Single Barrel, OBSO

Postby BSinTX » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Okay Pierre, it's over 100 degrees (F) outside, so drinking spirits straight is typically not something done very often with this weather. Having read a few of your Bourbon posts, I decided to break into a bottle of Four Roses which I purchased at the distillery. You can purchase "Private Selection" from other stores and typically the Bourbon will be selected by the store owner or guru. This particular bottle was selected by Jim Rutledge, Master Distiller of Four Roses. OBSO = 35% rye mash bill and rich and fruity yeast; there are 8 options you can select from the single barrel bottlings. $50 for a 750ml, 54.16% ABV (barrel strength), aged 10 years 8 months in oak, and non-chill filtered.

Without water: Nose is quite pungent but rich. Vanilla, buttery toffee...pretty much standard bourbon aromas.

Taste: Sweet corn, followed by rich fruitiness like melon, and then WHAMMMM!! The rye spiciness.

With water: Okay, now we are talking. Yellow cake batter, caramel popcorn, cherries, tobacco.

Taste: Water really brings out the best in this product. It's really oily, starts nice and sweet with corn, buttery rum, some honey, cherries, melons, bananas....wow...just a lot of fruitiness followed up by the rye spice finish which seems to be anise, cinnamon and white pepper.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Four Roses Single Barrel, OBSO

Postby Pierre » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:26 pm

BSinTX wrote:Okay Pierre, it's over 100 degrees (F) outside, so drinking spirits straight is typically not something done very often with this weather.

Well, the weather is shit this year in western Europe, so a bit of bourbon and whisky is a nice way to forget about that ;) By the way, don't expect a 2014 vintage for many wines in France (some areas were a bit more lucky, fortunately...).

35% rye, I should try that ! I remember trying the Single Barrel Four Roses at 50% and it did not strike me that much, but sometimes it's difficult to draw conclusions from a single sample.

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”