Glenlivet 17yo cask strength (56.2%) Signatory Vintage

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Glenlivet 17yo cask strength (56.2%) Signatory Vintage

Postby Pierre » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:41 pm

This is a scotch whisky from the Glenlivet distillery but it was bottled by Signatory Vintage (an independent bottler) at cask strength without filtration or additives (god bless Signatory Vintage people). It is from a single barrel of first fill sherry whisky, magnificent dark amber/reddish colour and nice bottle.

Nose: lots of candied fruits (orange, lemon, cherries...), strawberry and other red fruits, ebony/dark exotic wood, rhum, sweet cake... Is that really a whisky ? Yeah I can smell a bit of that iodine note but this is the less whisky-like whisky I've tasted, it smells like a hybrid cognac-rhum with red fruits 8-)
Palate: vivid (it's the least you could expect for a 56% sauce !!), very spicy (stings the tongue but no burn): cumin, nutmeg, ginger...
Finish: as vivid as the mouth and medium-long, very sherry of course, oaky, candied lemon (very clear), infused vanilla, beer (yep...), ginger (candied ?). Awfully drinkable neat... :twisted:

Wow, that stuff is exceptional... THAT is whisky I can drink with pleasure, all you need is a sherry bomb ! :mrgreen: I didn't add any water and don't inted to, I just love it as it is. It has some similarity with the Glendronach Cask Strength I tried some time ago but even more heavily sherried (the Glendronach must have been a tad younger, maybe around 14yo, numen what do you think ?).
I'm actually starting to understand why scotch whisky is considered by some to be the "more versatile" and "more interesting" spirit: it's really a "vampire spirit", it doesn't have a lot of taste by itself (as a distillate of malt) and thus it's perfect to absorb influences from other spirits and wines like bourbon and sherry without eclipsing them, while a brandy with a finish shows new variations but still with a brandy dominance. That's also probably why scotch drinkers tend to like a lot peat and smoke, I guess ?

Anyway, if you like sherry bombs and have a trip in Paris, you can find that exclusive bottling at La Maison du Whisky or order it directly from their website, but that 's a 108 euros bottle (if you already bought something from them there are regular discount periods, I got it for 75 euros, which is not a bad deal).

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”