Stagg Junior batch 1 (67.2%)

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Stagg Junior batch 1 (67.2%)

Postby Pierre » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:04 pm

So I finally got my Master of Malt new order and I'm slowly opening my little drams :mrgreen:
Starting with a bourbon that received a looooooot of negative critics on the internet, the younger brother of the unanimously acclaimed George T. Stagg. Unfortunately, given the availability and the price of that sauce in Europe I won't be getting any anytime soon, but I sure can have a dram the Junior !
First of all it has a strong perfume that you can smell half a second after opening the sample. Let's face it, it's powerful because of the strong alcohol content and it can't hide from being a cask strength bottling: the nose has a lot of powerful alcohol but you still get some nice things, a very present banana with lightly marinated fruits, somewhat heady and a lot of spices, cinnamon, licorice... On the palate you have to be very careful, this is VERY powerful, spicy and hot, with a very nice thickness covering the mouth and pepper all around, then on the finish comes the heavy wood and caramel, it is quite present and persistant and even has some resemblance with a Blanton's SftB, which is actually a nice compliment in my mouth !
Adding a bit of water to calm down the fire didn't do it justice... Granted, I don't like to drawn my dram so I may have reduced the abv to around 55%: although it did diminish the power, it actually made it a bit more aggressive on the tongue :? The nose is less alcoholic but less seducive with heady flowers, more mineral in a way and with more lemon, less syrupy on the tongye. The finish has more caramel but it became more bitter in the process (that sometimes happens with water added, I don't know why...). In the end it's somewhat dryer and sends waves of overwhelming spice/pepper.

In the end I prefered it neat ! It's very beasty indeed, but it's not that bad, you just have to be very careful with that stuff, drink it slowly and with respect, it's not an easy sipper at all, I kinda like that. And it sure shows potential, I can understand why so many people would love that stuff with 6-8 more years on it... If you want one of those cask strength bourbons where you can say "mmmmmhhhh, it's so smooth I can hardly believe it's cask strength!" well you can skip this one ! I, for once, do appreciate this stingy beasty sauce and if my friend living in NY can bring me a bottle at 50-60$, this would be good value for the price. And they say the second batch is much better, yum !
Anyway I sure would like to have the opinion of whiskey connoisseurs on that stuff, since I'm not really following the bashing trend on Stagg Jr.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Stagg Junior batch 1 (67.2%)

Postby BSinTX » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:12 pm

This picture was taken in the Buffalo Trace Distillery bottling room. The sauce inside the large cubic holding tank is George T. Stagg being aerated. The aromas of this room were indescribably delicious and they practically had to beg us to leave.

Stagg is a hard to find Bourbon. I have not found Stagg Jr. in any stores near me lately. 67%ABV....that's a spicy meatball!!

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:46 pm

I would so much like to visit the Buffalo Trace distillery ! Did you have any chance to taste a few rare bottlings ? Usually in France they'll make you taste some of their stuff for free :mrgreen:
I'm curious about the Eagle Rare 17...

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Unfortunately, when you go to the distillery, they only offer tastings of a small selection of what they sell and it's NEVER the expensive stuff!! The laws here in the US are much more draconian than most people know. The distillery cannot just walk into their bottling room and put out a few bottles, open them, and pour for their guests. They must purchase their own bottles because the taxes must be collected once a product is bottled. Typically, they do not sell their rare bottlings at the distillery either. They sell single barrel bottlings, but these can be purchased (often at a much lower price) at any liquor store.

I too am interested in the Eagle Rare 17 because the Eagle Rare is a relatively new brand and is fantastic for the price (which increased earlier this year due to shortages.)

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:59 pm

BSinTX wrote:I too am interested in the Eagle Rare 17 because the Eagle Rare is a relatively new brand and is fantastic for the price (which increased earlier this year due to shortages.)

Oh come on, every good brand is raising prices ! :evil: I'm really starting to think I got interested in spirits at the wrong time... The 10yo is already sold here at 40 euros (something like 50-55$), I hope it's not going to rise or I should pile up right now...

Sorry for the american tasting policy, but I think if you manage to make a trip in France some day you'll be quite pleased by the contrast :mrgreen: (at least for some small producers, I remember a tasting of 9 cognacs from 5 years to 40 years old, that was epic...)

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:42 pm

As guy born and raised in the US and who has traveled all over the world, I sometimes get PISSED off at the nanny state this nation is becoming. My last trip to Brazil, I was sucking down Bourbon while getting a tattoo in a tattoo shop. You cannot drink alcohol inside any tattoo shop in Amerika (spelled with a K these days.) You would think I'd be grateful I have so many wanna be mommies looking out for my best interests (sarcasm!!)

I am hoping to take a trip to France next year and check out Cognac, Armagnac and Calvados production.

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”