Karuizawa Spirit of Asama 48%

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Karuizawa Spirit of Asama 48%

Postby numen » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Nose: Rich and fudgy malt, obviously sherried, chocolate, and then dashes of sweet red fruit behind it. Kirsch at first with damp forest floor. Fairly typical baseline Karuizawa. Faint notes of rubber/sulphur, but hardly 'off' or wrong. Strawberry eau-de-vie (and sweet) emerges as the main fruit, and some touches of polished leather. Really delicious and engaging.

Palate: Malty and oaked. Bitter oak. It's almost on cedar, though also out of balance and without direction. As the bitterness subsides, it regains its form, but it was just a bit of a mash-up on initial tasting. Verdant forest floor, red fruit in the depths. More coffee than chocolate, probably from the wood. Ginger, too, with some chili. Almost some rancio from an old cognac. Almost.

Finish: Slightly mentholated, still on most all the same notes. Generally very good territory. The sulphur is slightly more distinct here, but it provides echoes of ham and soy sauce. Delicious. I really enjoyed the Asama 46%, and we're in the same ballpark. This has a more powerful nose, but the palate is less elegant and more obviously sulphured.

B/B+

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Karuizawa Spirit of Asama 48%

Postby Pierre » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Tried a sample of this and it is not my cup of tea (nor my dram of whisky).
The sulphur is really bothering for my taste, or maybe it's a combination of everything that does not fit right... I didn't enjoy it and didn't take any notes since I wasn't anjoying myself at all, I only remember a grappa-like nose that bothered me somehow. It's not badly made, mind you, and going past the grappa aroma there are some nice and elegant things going on on the nose, but the palate and finish are much less convincing.

Maybe I'm just not a Karuizawa guy ?

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”