Basil Hayden 8yo (40%)

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Basil Hayden 8yo (40%)

Postby Pierre » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:55 am

I generally suck at taking notes over bourbon, but this one's a sample from a friend and it's available in Europe so I thought I'd give it a try ;)

First thing: I quite like the colour of this, a nice clear gold, very tempting... I know colour means nothing, but I really do enjoy looking at my glass, so why deny myself simple pleasures ?
Nose: there's lemon pie in there, and this is a winner for me ! Flavours come and go, the lemon gets replaced by green apples, bananas and then ice cream. A bit of lightly marinated things and like with many bourbons some nice oaky presence. The nose is probably the best part of this drink.
Palate: ha, this is where the 40% dilution gives a bit of delusion, this is a bit weak... Weak but nevertheless pleasant, there are agrumes, light spices from the wood (and maybe the rye) and even a slightly "furried" component that gets me looking into it more than I expected.
Finish: still a bit weak but lemony again, with honey flavours (lemon flower honey or something like that).

This is one of those drinks where you think "if only it were at 45%, this stuff would rock"... But hey, it's a nice pour anyway, maybe more of a spring-summer pour, but why complain when there's quality in the glass ?

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Basil Hayden 8yo (40%)

Postby BSinTX » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Just last week, I opened up my 50ml bottle of BH and had the same impressions you had.

First, 40%ABV Bourbon is just weaksauce, period!! Once I got over this, it was a very decent pour. The wife of my good friend is a FANATICAL key lime pie perfectionist so I get to eat lots of homemade key lime pie and I could not help but notice a very similar aromas in the Bourbon. The sweetness of the crust mixed with the tartness of the limes. I also get this strange peppermint aroma and not sure if it's on purpose or just coincidence. Either way, 45% Basil Hayden would simply rock!!

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:53 pm

I guess it's only natural since bourbon is bottled usually quite young (less than 12 years old) and distilled around 60-65% abv, which means a fair amount of dilution (hell, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is 67% at 12yo, that would more than 50% water added to bring it around 40% !!).

Well, let's hope the BH will hear us out :P Yeah, you the "cellar master" (or whatever you call it in Kentucky) at BH, I'm pretty sure you taste this stuff at cask strength and all the way through the dilution, don't be selfish and share the experience with us !

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:09 pm

With a straightforward research I found out that this offering is actually from Jim Beam, I guess it's the lighter brother of the Booker's and Baker's offerings, so in a certain way I believe it is already possible to taste a stronger version of this... Coming from the Cognac/Armagnac world, the whisk(e)y labellings are sometimes confusing, with people distilling for other people, other people bottling the stuff etc... :|

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”