Woodford Reserve

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Woodford Reserve

Postby BSinTX » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Alright, this one is most likely available to those overseas as well as those living anywhere in the US. Today, I had to get back into the Woodford Reserve as there just wasn't any Cognac or Armagnac that I had open to go with the Fuente Anejo #77 Shark I had to smoke. I purchased this 1 liter bottle at the Duty Free in Atlanta for $40 and am quite surprised at the price considering the quality. 45.2% ABV.....some times I like to add water and some times I do not. It's nice to have this option rather than have someone water it down for you (hint, hint!!)

Nose: Straight forward with the sweetness.....vanilla, caramel, toffee, butter, a tad bit of spice, oak, maple syrup. If you add some water, the nose really opens up nicely but today was a day to pass on the water (too cold outside and the cigar was too strong.)

Taste: Just enough alcohol to know it's not 40% and not enough to make you go "WOW!" The sweetness of the corn comes out first, lots of vanilla, oak, toffee, butter, and some salt. The rye spice kicks things up a notch or two to give some peppery flavors and the wood helps to calm the sweetness. Very well rounded, but the flavors tend to go away a bit too quickly to be fantastic. I also enjoy this with a splash of water to calm the spice from the rye but it will deaden the wood. This is also great over ice; the aromas are really something!! All in all, not the best Bourbon on the shelves but a really nice go to bottle when you know you are not looking for anything over the top.

bobt
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Re: Woodford Reserve

Postby bobt » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 pm

A fine bourbon, to be sure. Thanks for the tasting notes.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Woodford Reserve

Postby BSinTX » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:59 am

Another nice thing about Woodford is that Delta Airlines has it in their liquor stash. Whenever I get upgraded to first class (happens a lot), the booze is free. So long as it's not the AM (sorry, just not a morning drinker), two shots on ice is a great way to fly!!

Return to “Whisky and Bourbon”