Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Anything about Whis(e)y and Bourbon can be placed in this sub-section. Such as news, information, reviews, distillery-visits...
tinh10
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Postby tinh10 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:29 am

Anyone ever heard of it? Its very popular in the USA. Very hard item to get my hands on.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Postby numen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:57 am

Hi tinh10, welcome aboard! I've heard of Pappy, and I'm sure that BSinKY and others have as well. Do you like Pappy and wheated bourbon, or are you looking for it?

tinh10
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby tinh10 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Coming from a family thats in the liquor business, I have tried everything I can lay my hands on. I like bourbon but I love cognacs. I posted in the whisky/bourbon section just to see if anyone heard of Pappy Van Winkle. This is an international forum so I just wanted to see if anyone from overseas heard of it or even tried it.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:07 am

Ah, I'd be interested, too, in hearing about how well known PVW is in Europe. Bourbon and American whiskey tends to be very expensive there, and tougher to find. Do you have any favorite PVWs or cognacs?

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Were it not for that forum I would not drink bourbon and would not know anything about the van Winkle family :mrgreen: I've read discussions in France about it, they do know it and value it too it seems... I've been so fortunate as to spot a bottle of their Rye whisky in a bar in Milan as I mentionned in a numen's thread, I was pleased but not marvelled.

Jamie76
VS-Cognac
VS-Cognac

Postby Jamie76 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:19 pm

The problem with Pappy Van Winkle is that it has become "too popular." People were (and probably still are) buying it merely to sell it for a profit. PVW is good bourbon, but there are many more bourbons out there that are better at a much lower price point.

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:28 pm

It's quite rare to find the 21 YO because there just isn't much to be had. Bourbon barrels are not topped off with water from the evaporation so after aging 21 years in rickhouses (it's not aged in cellars) the barrels have a good chance of being empty. The past 5 summers have been pretty darned hot and dry (this year was hot and wet), so there has been a lot of evaporation taking place these past few years. The folks who bottle PVW do not distill it, so they must rely on their own reserves or the reserves of the distillers (who don't see much reason to keep bourbon for extended aging.)

Add to this what Jamie76 stated about it being "too" popular; the owner of the liquor store may stash it for his best customers rather than the one time buyers. Only recently has expensive Bourbon been available; it's always been known as a reasonably priced, well crafted product. It's only a matter of time before crystal decanters quadruple the price.

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby numen » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Just to +1 BSinKY's post. I think that what's been striking about the rise of pricing on aged bourbon is where it's coming from. If you can find PVW bourbon, most stores will sell it for MSRP, around $80 for the 20 year old and $135 for the 23. One of the disturbing trends is how the secondary market has gone Dutch-tulip (23 year PVW is a "bargain" on the secondary market for $600), and how some stores are paying for those bottles and selling them for even more. Old Willett has also gone through the roof.

Old PVW is a bit different in that it's one of the fewer older wheated bourbons. WL Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection is up there, but most of the stuff on the market is Rye-flavored bourbon. A friend bought a few bottles of 17 year old Willett bourbons a few years ago for $65/bottle. If you can find a bottle of that age for less than $150-175, well, consider yourself lucky. For all the woes with the Scotch single malt whisky stocks, it's worse, I think, for bourbon. Thankfully, there are lots of incredible bourbons and rye whiskeys out there that don't need that much time in barrel.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 am

Crystal decanters : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Pierre wrote:Crystal decanters : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: