Road Rash 2013

Here you can talk about everything!
BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Road Rash 2013

Postby BSinTX » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:43 am

This sort of thing only happens when training for a competition, not when pleasure riding. While riding my bicycle in the Kentucky countryside, a bee entered my well ventilated helmet and proceeded to sting the heck out of my head. In an effort to stop the stinging, I reflexively tried yanking the helmet off my head (yes, it's strapped onto my chin and no, pulling on it doesn't make it come off) and this caused a serious upset in balance. Note when riding a road bike - they make clip in pedals which makes pedaling much more effective. The down side to clip in pedals is that they cause your injuries to become much more intense when crashing because you cannot use your legs (they remain attached to the bike which will eventually land on top of you.)

The results:

This is the bruising on my left hip-

This is the swelling on my left knee -

This is the road rash on my left arm -

The worst of the pain is the muscle damage done to my left arm. I landed with my arm extended (see my arm rash) and my left ear hitting the ground to the inside of my shoulder. All of those tendons are torn and they hurt like mad!!!

Now, this was on my bicycle riding about 20mph (fast for a bike.) I can only imagine what it would be like to crash on the motorcycle, which is why I wear armored clothing. The lesson to be learned here is: unclip!! Get out of the pedals before doing anything.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Road Rash 2013

Postby Pierre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 pm

I always hated those clips... Never used them myself but I just couldn't help thinking what happens when I fall with my feet attached on a bike :?
You're probably in for a week where anything you do will be painful, sorry for you man... On the bright side, seems you've not broken anything, so that could have been worse ! Take care and heal as fast as you can ;)

françois
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby françois » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Ouch that must have been painful! :(

I hope you'll get a quick and complete recovery. Thanks God you don't have fractures, but this is the kind of accidents that can easily lead to broken members or ribs. As far as I'm concerned I'm more of a mountain bike guy, and I tend to avoid roads due to the danger associated with traffic. Did this happen to you on a road with cars and trucks? And apart from this, do you train for actual competitions or do you cycle only as a leisure?

Next time you put on your helmet, maybe you'll remember this famous (albeit apocryphal) anecdote about a great Cognac connoisseur: Sir Winston Churchill. Asked what was the secret of his long life, it is claimed he said he actually had 3 secrets, the last one being: "no sport!". FYI, his other 2 secrets were smoking cigars and drinking brandy. So to live a long, healthy life, you know what you have to do: quit sports! ;)

Take care!

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:28 am

Bit of an update:

I have a broken collar bone and a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I went in for an MRI on Thursday and will have an Orthopedic doctor look at the results on Tuesday.

I hit the ground, HARD!! I was on the road, doing about 18-20mph. When I hit, my instincts kicked in and I (still attached to the bike because clip in pedals don't release) rolled to get out of the street. There are two types of Amerikans....most are very courteous and will slow down and pass you with as much distance between you and them as possible because they understand that being inside a car does not mean that they own the road. Then, there are the small penis'd "men", typically huge pickup trucks to make up for such small members and the fact that their great granddaddy got the living S*&T kicked out of him by a bunch of Yankees, who will practically hit you with their side mirrors. As you can see, there are good and bad sides to riding rural roads in Kentucky. Fortunately, there were no cars coming when I hit. A few minutes afterwards, several cars stopped to see if I was okay and offered to take me back. I'm not saying all kids from New Jersey are tough, but the ones who are; this is called, "Jersey Tough". I continued to let pride come long after the fall and rode back to my car.

I went to work earlier in the week, but lugging around a 45 pound toolbox proved to be quite painful and I came back home.

I appreciate the kind words; I will let everyone know what the big man says on Tuesday.

wouter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wouter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:21 pm

BSinKY wrote:I have a broken collar bone and a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder.

Ouch... Did you recover fully?

I always use Cognac on open wounds. My wounds seems to recover well with this great disinfectant. :D

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:37 am

I am happy to say I have made a full recovery. Rather than hitting the free weights or kettlebells, I went back to doing a lot of swimming. I have put the bicycle back onto the trainer as I do not want to risk re-injury should I fall again. At this moment, it's too darned hot outside to do much riding so it's better to heal properly.

While I did not rub any cognac into my wounds, I used this down time to explore a few more spirits (I drank a bit more ;) ) I also finished off some of the bottles which were already open (I drank my good stuff!!)

Return to “Off-Topic”