Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Cognac Fact or Fiction

Postby Deemancpa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Your thoughts on fact or fiction of cognac with the following terms:

Forgotten casks
Missing Casks
Nicolas Palazzi - where's the proof, no pun intended!
Newly discovered hidden cellar

I want a producer to keep a watchful eye on all 100 yr old barrels.

Dee

numen
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Re: Cognac Fact or Fiction

Postby numen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Do you mean whether the stories around certain bottlings are true?

Forgotten casks:
Cognacs from this district are often full of character, expressing their “terroir” with great power, and are often used in blending to add a touch of earthiness, mulch and—as some believe—truffle notes. This lot, resting in glass demijohns, is believed to have been brought into the cellar during the early 1900s. Undiluted and unreduced, this forgotten cask is deep oak in color, and is best described as direct, pure and crisp. Resplendent with some dense notes that come from the rich wine made from Colombard grapes, which, once upon a time, was cherished in Borderies.

Missing Casks??

Nicolas Palazzi - presumably the Devant la Porte? A random single barrel from an unnamed estate/producer that was just sitting around?

Newly discovered hidden cellars - res ipsa loquitur

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think that the Forgotten Cask series is a bit unlikely, at best. Maybe it's not entirely untrue, but they definitely seem to take liberties with the stories.
Missing casks are also a bit odd and I'm usually skeptical. On the other hand, I don't know that all estates do a great job of systematically keeping track of their stock and what's ageing
Palazzi's Devant la Porte - a producer (name not publicized) with an unadultered barrel of old cognac? Yeah, I can believe that. That's more or less what Francis Darroze does/did for Armagnac, except he names the source for the stuff.
I'm also pretty skeptical about the NDHC. It's a lot easier to see how a few barrels might have been overlooked rather than an entire cellar.

Deemancpa
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Deemancpa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks for your perspective Numen! Marketing at best!

d

BSinTX
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby BSinTX » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:27 pm

They've managed to procure a few bottles of the "Lost Cask" Borderies at TPS but I am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger; the stories are a bit peculiar.

Pierre
VSOP-Cognac
VSOP-Cognac

Postby Pierre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:46 am

Well, I suppose it can happen, there is a concrete example for Aramgnac that you can find on this french thread:
http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5940&sid=bcf18d1df1e50b5540b52be15d3ae2ae&start=15 at the 11:21am post (with photos).
The story is: a small room has been sealed with armagnac bottles from 1893 and 1900 inside and rediscovered a few years ago. It's not casks actually but still interesting if one wants to know what armagnac was like 100 years ago, or experiment the "ageing in bottle theory" ;) The poster says they were amazing and remembering the Grosperrin N°24. The 1900 is still sold (http://www.poyferre.com/category.php?id_category=7) but now at 1700€ instead of 750€ previously :shock:

Return to “Off-Topic”